1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Which 36 would be best?????

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Elawncare, Aug 29, 2004.

1. Elawncare

Elawncare LawnSite Member

I'm a newbie and am currently using a toro 22, I only have 8 residential lawns this year but hope to have 15 - 20 next year. I am looking into getting a 36 but I don't know which one. There are a couple dealers around here but only one good one and he sells ferris, exmark, and wright. I looked into getting a metro, but for 400.00 more I could get a Ferris hydro walk SD which is a single hydro for 3,000.00. So my question is should I go with the Ferris because it's a hydro, the metro because it's cheaper, or look at used equipment in the paper?????

BTW: If I buy from the dealer he will give me a mower to use when mine is in his shop.
  2. BillyRgn

BillyRgn LawnSite Member

i never buy anything used and i would say you get what you pay for usually hydros are alot more expensive and personally i like exmark walk behinds better
  3. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

I was in about the same situation at as you at one point. I would buy a belt drive 36 and get a hydro later as you buy a bigger mower. Belts are not as good as hydros but with that amount of work you will be fine.

I have a Toro 36 inch proline w/12.5 kawa. Never had a prob. Expect to pay $2000 new for this machine.

Good luck!
  4. KL Squared

KL Squared LawnSite Member

I also have a Toro walk behind 37inch. Buy a belt drive new. I never buy used especially in this business. The only reason that I sell equipment is because repairs are more expensive that buying new. I do not mean to sound flippant but lawn care is about getting the most out of you equipment. I like the exmark brand also. I will say that the Toro t-bar is a lot easier on the hands and wrists that any pistol grip.
  5. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

Were those trucks new when you bought them??:confused:
  6. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

I buy used make sure the trans or pumps is good.

My whole I bought used been good to me.

allllll scags .
  7. BladesAway

BladesAway LawnSite Member
    from Ok

I buy all my big mowers used. Never had a problem with any of them.
  8. superbee

superbee LawnSite Member

I just bought an Exmark 36 Viking Hydro. I looked at Ferris, Gravely, and Scag also. I went with the Exmark because of their ECS system - much easier on the hands than pistol grips. I have not been disappointed. The Exmark is a well built machine and delivers a great cut. Also, I would go ahead and spend the extra money up front if you can and get the hydro. You will be happier in the long run.
  9. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

For a 36", I would recommend a belt drive, and save your money for a hydro 48" or 52" (or 61") mower. Which you will want shortly. If you get a belt drive, 12.5hp is plenty of engine.

Heck, if you can finagle the cost of the hydro close to the belt drive, then get the hydro!
  10. Tvov

Tvov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Whoops, mistake....