1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Which 48" Walk Behind for my WIFE!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HighGrass, Oct 20, 2006.

1. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

For the 2007 season, my wife will partner up with me in my mowing business. Which HYDRO walk behind would best suit her? Thinking of a 48"

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

Get the new 44in. model from better outdoor products.
  3. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

Took the words right out of my mouth. It isn't worth not considering this mower just because it it 4'' narrower than the standard 48.
  4. surgeon83

surgeon83 LawnSite Member

Ferris 48 dual drive with some type of fixed-position stand-up sulky. The wide wheelbase on the Ferris DDs gives great stability on hills and combined with wider tires, makes it extremely easy to perform true zero turns and avoid divoting the turf on turns, even on a wet lawn.
  5. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

julee likes the gravely pro ster just because of the operating ease with being a female plus great with a sulkey.
  6. BQLC

BQLC LawnSite Senior Member

i agree 100% JMO THOUGH
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I'd say a dozen long stem roses and and a romantic evening out first is appropriate...the mower can wait for now.
  8. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Hustler or Toro with a T-bar, wouldnt waste my time with anything else.
  9. Waterscapes By Design

Waterscapes By Design LawnSite Member

I dont know how big your girl is....(and no Im not leading into a joke here)

But if her hands are smaller than the average mans hands definately get the T-Bar, those pistol grips can cause problems in residential yards if ya dont have the extra finger length....
  10. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

The Bunton with Z controls, or the Gravely Pro Steer, or the Lesco with z type controls (if it hasn't been discontinued). The Hustler is way too long of a machine and the controls are NOT good, at least I sure didn't like them! I demoed one. The Toro w/ T bar will not be a good choice if you want to go hydro, which you should.

I have the Bunton, great machine. The Z controls are effortless on the hands, the Gravely has an OPC which isn't on the Bunton. So I think the Bunton would be much more comfortable. I can't believe how my Bunton mulches leaves with the mulch kit installed! Often just one pass will do it! It's also incredible on discharging clippings.