Which aerator should i buy?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Royallawncare, Mar 13, 2005.

1. Royallawncare

Royallawncare LawnSite Member

For the last few years we have been aerating like crazy in my area and were able to buy our two used aerators for $650 ( old rentals ) I am looking at purchasing a third or replacing one of the ones we have what is the best aerator you have ever used? We just use walk behinds most of the properties in our area are too small for towing...How much do tow behinds cost? What is the going rate for aeration in your area mine is about $35 a lawn for the middle class....

2. ow man

ow man LawnSite Member

Ryan makes some great products. Many kinds of specialty turf equip. They are commercial and well built.

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

A very minimum of $60, but I don't even like that. I try to get $75. Check out the Plugr by Rock Solid. I bought the PL800 last fall and love it. Easy to operate and pulls a great plug.

4. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

the plugr looks great, how much do they cost?

5. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

No wonder you have had such a good response from your flyers. You are undercharging for your service by at least 40-50%. That is what hurts our industry and especially in a time when expenses are inflating.

6. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I would get a core areator. I am getting alot of calls for that type.

7. Royallawncare

Royallawncare LawnSite Member

I talked to a few of the top companies in my area and have found that the most they have been able to charge for the normal size yard in our area is $35-40 I dont consider myself a "scrub" My prices are very competitive for our area. It really offends me when people get on this site and call others "scrubs" when they know nothing about their area, backround, or situation. What matters most is at the end of the day whether you feel good about your services, if it's worth it to you, and if your making a profit....

8. MacPhersonlawn

MacPhersonlawn LawnSite Member

I have a Husqvarna AR 25 Core Aerator (walk behind). It was about $2,400 new. I usually charge $70 to $80 per lawn. Sometimes a little less ($60) if it is small. It does a good job but it can beat you up. Could never do it for an 8 hr day!

9. nriddle77

nriddle77 LawnSite Senior Member

There is nothing wrong with his price. Here in our area, there are plenty of people charging $20-$25 for aerating. This morining I saw signs posted all over that said "aerating $25, any size lawn". Most people here are just not going to pay $70 to have their lawn aerated. We'd all love to charge that much, but it's just not happening. Maybe that's a good price in your market, but not here. Most lawns here are small, and can be done in less than 30 minutes.

10. cochino12

cochino12 LawnSite Senior Member

I dont know much about them as I am brand new to the business but I just bought a classen split drive and it works great!! I've only had it for about 3 weeks and I've already made close to $500 from it and picked up a few weekly customers because I can do both.