1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Which aerator to pick?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Petr51488, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Which aerator is better? and why?

Billy Goat AE401H Aerator or the Ryan Lawnaire IV Plus Aerator 4hp Honda.

They are both different style aerators and was wondering which works better. Roller? or independent wheels like on the billy goat. THanks!
  2. Ducke

Ducke LawnSite Senior Member

Ryan Lawnaire IV Plus Aerator 4hp Honda.

We have a Ryan. We like it.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

I'd say go with the Ryan,

ALEX'S LANDSCAPING LawnSite Senior Member

Ryan Lawnaire IV Plus Aerator 4hp Honda.
    That would be my vote.
  6. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

Id vote for the Ryan as well. One of the easiest to use that Ive found.
  7. Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries

Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries LawnSite Senior Member

I've run both quite a bit. However, I could be considered biased.:rolleyes: I prefer the Billy Goat for a few reasons I'll mention. The easy fill/empty water in the top weight that gets you better plug depth instead of a front drum. I also GREATLY prefer the fact that you can simply "Lift and Lock" to pull the tines out of the turf instead of having grab the engage/disengage handle every time. It's also much more stable on hillsides because the engine is lower. Here's the promo video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxJoj1Hm3sY. Watch from 1:38 to 3:30 to see some of the features.

However, don't take my word for it run them side by side and make the decision off of your experience and needs.
  8. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I think watching that video had me sold. Has anyone else used the billy goat?
  9. The Grounds Crew

The Grounds Crew LawnSite Member

What about a crank shaft aerator. It might be more expensive but it does a way better job. It pulls cores twice as deep. It's what the golf courses use. If you have enough clients to justify the cost, you will be a lot happier.
  10. lawnguy224

lawnguy224 LawnSite Member

Last season I purchased the Billy Goat aerator, was very happy with it, after using Ryan aerators in the past, both are good machines it just depends what machine suits you and your needs better, for me it was the Billy Goat, no regreats!!!
    Best of luck with your decision!!