Which Aerator would you Recomend?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by machine, May 29, 2001.

1. machine

machine LawnSite Member
    from OH

I have made the decsion that I am going to purchase a core Aerator this year, but have not made up my mind on the brand and model, yet.
    I would be using it for 3/4 to 2 acer residental lots which have hilly terrain. I have been using a 24 Inch 5hp Ryan and have not been impressed. Thinking a 9hp 36 Inch with dual turning capability would be the choice. What would you guys recomend?

2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I would suggest you look in a pull behind version for properties that big. Many on this site own the classen (sp?) and i have heard nothing but positive comments about it. The 42 inch model is 1200 dollars at lesco.

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I agree with Evan, get the pull behind for that size property. The Classen/Lesco has a split axle, so it works good behind a ZTR. :)

4. danlawnser

danlawnser LawnSite Senior Member

Keep the Ryan 24inch for small little areas. But do what they said and get a pull behind. Personally I would just rent one.

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Pull it, don't get the w/b. Your talking to big of an area to walk with.

6. machine

machine LawnSite Member
    from OH

How about going with on of those front mounted units from Jaycor that mounts to your walkbehind mower. Has anyone used one of those? I am still concernd about using the pull behind on steep Hills.

7. NateinAtl

NateinAtl LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

What doesn't impress you about the Ryan? Is it depth ? Speed? Reliability? Which Ryan is it? The LA IV or V or the LA 28? I own Ryan LA IV's and V's. The tines are closer together than many brands. They go as fast as you possibly want a walk behind to go. No drum type aerator pulls better or deeper plugs. Many pull just as deep, but not deeper. And maintenance is seldom. I'm just curious to see what is that keeps you fromm being satisfied with the Ryan. How often do you use it?

8. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

My goal for next year is to add the pull behind to the arsenal. I have (and love) a lawnaire V but especially this year I am seeing the need for the higher production rates and less wear and tear on the human:)

I figure I'll always use the V for smaller yards but I definately dislike going back and forth FOREVER on the larger properties:)

9. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

The Ryan units are good machines, however, they can be difficult to use on sloping terrain. I have a IV, and while it does do a great job, is reliable, and easy to maintain, it is a real bear to use on hills. I think that for the size jobs that the poster is targeting, a pull behind unit would be his best bet. Since purchasing a pull behind unit, my walk behinds are now only used for trimming small areas.