Which Aerator?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by cgaengineer, Apr 6, 2008.

1. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I plan on heading to Powertrades this week to pickup an aerator. I am wondering which brand most people use. Powertrades carries, Ryan, Classen and Bluebirds. Is it worth it to get self propelled or do the units pretty much propel themselves with the core spikes?

People who own one of these brands can you please let me know how you like them.

2. cgaengineer

48 views and nobody has an opinion on a WB aerator?

3. flhntr

flhntr LawnSite Member

i like the ryan

4. All-Pro LawnCare

All-Pro LawnCare LawnSite Member
    from NC

I have a Bluebird and it does great, but wish I had a split drive.

5. Kilroy

Kilroy LawnSite Member
    from KY

I have a Ryan Lawnaire IV with a Honda engine. It does a great job. Maintenance is simple. Excellent, quality machine. It does give me quite a workout though: turning it, raising and lowering the wheels, etc. Makes me tired just thinking about it:laugh:. And yes, it propels itself as it pulls the plugs while dragging me behind it. HTH

6. 2fatguyslawncare

2fatguyslawncare LawnSite Member

Save a little energy for getting up that trailer ramp too!! I also like my Ryan Lawnaire V...

Leroy

7. cgaengineer

I found a Ryan GA-24 for $600 that runs and works, but needs new spoons. Its local so I may go look at it.

8. EVM

EVM LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a plugr with the hydro pump, the unit works great when soil has adequate moisture. Areas with surface roots will need to be done with a roll type aerator. I don’t have a lot of hours on the machine so I can't speak for its durability. The plugr is alot easier to operate than a regular 1 drive aerator, trust me on that one.

9. S3Scooter

S3Scooter LawnSite Member

Hear! Hear! My Classen TA 26 Does an excellent job, but when I run by myself which is what I do in the early spring. I can only handle 3 good sized yards a day, and I am BEAT!:laugh: They now have the same units that are split drives, and I hear they are not as bad.

Has anybody tried the Jrco aerator for the ZTR's, and how much do they run?

S3

10. Terraformer

Terraformer LawnSite Member

I've got a Ryan Lawnaire 28. At 400+ pounds it really pulls nice plugs. It is lf propelled by power transfered to the rear drive wheels. It steers okay with tines in play; however, you want to plan your reversing turn to be on flat level ground. Otherwise, I just walk behind and make slight adjustments.