Which applicant do I hire?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by shovelracer, May 29, 2008.

1. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

OK Ive narrowed 25 applicants down to 3. it really wasnt that hard cause 20 of them talked themselves right out of the position. Anyways #1: 4 years experience and 1 year foreman training with the top money company in our area. Responsible for large commercial maintenance crew. Is a perfectionist and seems knowledgeable. Lives 20 miles away. Got let go after minor back injury. Doctor orders light duty for 2 weeks. #2: young kid maybe 19-20. Clears drivers check and criminal check. Appears motivated, but just quit last job a golf course cause they made him weed whack ditches for 2 weeks straight. #3: 6 years experience. Boss went to jail to CS so he lost his job. Has young baby and seems desperate for work and as many hours as possible. Seemed to have built up aggression to old boss and slight anger problem.

I'm leaning toward #1, he is interested in the long haul and the others are only interested in now. Any thoughts
  2. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

hire all 3 and start another crew...they all seem to have goods and bads

#1 or #3
  3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

What job are you looking to fill? It seems like you are not comparing apples to apples as you have 2 high up guys and 1 guys whose at the bottom of the ladder.
  4. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Im leaning away from #3 cause Ive had guys that show up early and leave late everyday and are always there, but the drama they bring to the day isnt worth it. Seem angry at the world, and that isnt my problem plus his boss is in jail so I cant exactly call for a reference. Im waiting for my call back on #1's reference check.
  5. KevinACrider

KevinACrider LawnSite Member

Personally, I'd stay away from #1. He may have more injuries later and it could hurt you too. I would go for #2. He's young, agile, can still be somewhat trained & I kind of like that he told you up front why he quit his job, especially for what his reason was.

I have a soft spot for young kids, I would probably give #3 a chance but just let him know from the gate that you won't tolerate any anger problems.
  6. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I would have each of them work one day on a trial basis. Have each one work for a day paid of course. I have a simple hands on test we use after a good interview. The we still try and get them to work a trial day just to see their demeanor with the crew, their ability to follow directions. Not as worried about speed just a consistent pace and attention to detail. But thats just me.

I would lean towards #3 myself, nothing like a family to keep you focused and motivated.

#1 Big money companies usually don't dump employees for minor back injuries. I think there is more to this story.

#2 What young guy is not focused on the short term?
  7. Gene $immons

Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member

I would pick #2
  8. big acres

big acres LawnSite Member

AZ gardener said it best. Plus, who wouldn't be bitter if your bosses irresponsibility left you suddenely without an income?
  9. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

Pick #2, here's why: He's young (i.e. able-bodied), and thus impressionable. You can more easily mold a young person into the ideal worker than one who is set in their ways. Also, he put up with cutting ditches for 2 straight weeks (or so he says). Regular maintenance is of course easier than this (in most ways), so the job you are offering is one that he may remain loyal to. Third, he worked on a golf course. What kind of people golf? Seems to me that candidate #2 would have to know some manners to keep a job with customers like that.
  10. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

wow, hate to see what the other 22 were like!