Which areas are better for marketing?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by MowerMoney, Apr 4, 2005.

1. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

Question for you more experienced LCO's out there.

Which areas do you find better for marketing, ie. fliers & doorhangers?
    1) older subdivisions or 2) new subdivisions

My thinking has been that the older subs possibly have more seniors that can't do their own yardwork but still want to stay in their own homes. So I especially look for single story homes with a newer sedan type car as opposed to 2 story houses with vans (kid movers) and toys in the yards.
    But now I'm thinking that maybe the newer subs have more 2 income homes and are possibly driving 1/2 to 1 hr or more one way to work and don't have the time for yard work but maybe have the money to spend for someone else to do it.

For sure I hit all the upper class subdivisions.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

2. cuthis

cuthis LawnSite Member

Admail such as fliers and doorhangers are really just a numbers game. The first area to hit up are those people with the disposable income to pay for your service. After that its pretty much up in there air in my expereince. You could do a drop to an older subdivision on week and get lots of calls and do it to the same sort of subdivision a few blocks over and get nothing. Make sure your fliers clearly state what you want the customer to read and then get as many out as you can ( assuming you want lots of work) Its a numbers game you win some and loos some. But you should come out on top in the end.

good luck

3. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

Anybody else have any comments on this?

4. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

One thing to consider is, in an older neighborhood with many long-time residents, their mortgages will be low relative to their incomes. Which means more disposable income. In your newer neighborhoods, many customers are "house-poor". You know your area best, its not a hard and fast rule, just something to keep in mind.

5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi MowerMoney,

If they are brand new subdivisions, they might not have an LCO yet. Test the market. See which or your two groups offer better returns and go for them.