1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Which Ariens to get... Push mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stevenovotny, Apr 1, 2008.

1. stevenovotny

stevenovotny LawnSite Member

I love the Ariens mowers and they are going for a great deal right now in my area. I'm not sure if I should get the Pro21 line or the swivel wheel line. They both have the Kawasaki engine in them. The one big difference is the weight of the Pro is more than the swivel wheel. does anyone have any advice as far as weight or manuverability? The pro is heavy but it has great get up and go and is built like a tank but the engines are the same. The price is $100.00 more for the pro line than the swivel wheel.

Anybody have any thoughts or questions on using a swivel wheel verses a typical straight wheel? Any thoughts appreciated.

2. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

What is your planned usage of the mower?

Home use, business use?

If home use, how big of a lot, how often do you want to cut it, how many obstacles like trees and shaped bed edges to mow around?

If commercial usage, how many accounts/cuts a week with this mower?

We have a customer that purchased one of the swivel models with the Kohler engine in mid January and so far we have not heard him complaining about it, or he says his crew that is using it isn't complaining. He also has an older Ariens swivel wheel unit that he's thinking about putting the new swivel wheel design on.

Really need to know how you want to use this mower.

3. stevenovotny

I do have a lot of turns in my lawn... About 5000 sq ft mowed 1-2 times a week. And yes, I want Ariens info, not other mowers. I have researched most of the mowers and want to work with Ariens for the moment.

The reason I didn't take the swivel wheel was because one guys said it was hard to track straight and I would have problems with making good line cuts.

I like the pro and have bought it but I can return it for the swivel wheel and trade it in. I was just surprised how heavy the Pro line is and not sure if this will be something I will have a problem with in the future. Man talk about get up and go. The first time I used the mower I was practically running behind the mower. It was awesome. The blade kept up fine.

anyway... thanks for the quick input. SN
  4. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

What kind of drive system does Ariens have? I'm a fan of the disc drive Snappers myself, so I don't have much to say about Ariens (don't know much about them either). What engine are you looking for? I would definitely stick with Honda, Kawi, or Briggs before the Kohler...that Kohler is not proven yet...
  5. stevenovotny

It is a disc drive like the Snapper. I"m not sure how similar. I can tell you this. That thing plum takes off and leaves burn marks on both rear wheels if I'm not careful. I had to actually slow it down. The first time I used it, my t-shirt was drenched with sweat from pracitcally running with it.

The engine is the Kawi. It is a little bit loud. Also, no throttle... just pull and balls to the walls. So far, I am very impressed. Like I said this machine is awesome, just a bit heavy.
  6. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I had considered this machine, but the spec sheet said the weight was nearly 130#. Is the deck and discharge chute a cast aluminum design that accounts for all the weight? How well does it bag?

BTW, I discarded consideration of the mower solely because of the weight. Bad decision?
  7. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

plastic drive gear on the rear wheels-which is very costly to replace. not up to serious comm duty
  8. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

I just wish the Ariens had a blade clutch.
  9. stevenovotny

The commercial mower has an all metal drive gear. Looks like a brass type alloy. Trust me... it ain't breaking. And yes, it is heavy which is my only concern. And, it does not have a blade clutch which the only reason I can think of is that the engine starts so easy that they don't care about a clutch, but truthfully it should have one. How times a day do you want to pull the engine to life. I can tell you though it is a incredible cutting machine. I ran in through 4 inch grass and it just laughed and cut its way through.
  10. Gruneich Lawn Care Inc.

Gruneich Lawn Care Inc. LawnSite Senior Member
    from SD

I have had a commercail Ariens in the past, 5hp Kawasaki with oil filter. It was very heavy, built like a tank. Im not sure if it was the weight of the machine, but we where always having problems with the drive. We would take it in, and the dealer would replace, a friction wheel, and some other parts, within a week, it would hardly pull itself along, take it back in same thing. Finally I bought a Honda push mower from Home Depot for like 400, still using it today.. Just some food for thought