Which axle to put brakes on?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Travis E, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Travis E

Travis E LawnSite Bronze Member

We are working on building a tandem axle 16' trailer. When it comes to the brakes, shoud we put them on the front axle or back axle? Probably a stupid question but we are clueless. Thanks in advance!

2. crash935

crash935 LawnSite Member

Spend the extra $$$ and do both axles, will save on the truck brakes and just add more stopping power to the trailer.

3. Total.Lawn.Care

Total.Lawn.Care LawnSite Senior Member

I agree to put them on both axles. However, when there is only one brake axle, it is uaually the front one. But, you have to make sure that the trailer is towed level, or with slightly more weight on the front axle, or you will be locking up and dragging brake tires alot.

4. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

both, it cant hurt...might cost a little more upfront but down the long road you will be replacing trailer and truck brakes less.

5. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Mine are on the rear axle

wayne

6. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

When I towed a 16" tandem trailer, the brakes were on the rear axle. It did a very good job of stopping the trailer.

7. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

BOTH

It is actually required in some (if not most) states

8. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, the rear axle is usually where a single braking axle is placed, and YES, most states require brakes on both axles if it's any type of commercially used trailer i.e. pulled with a truck with a business name on it.

9. Travis E

Travis E LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for the imput everyone. I hooked up the trailer to the truck and the trailer sits pretty level so the front axle isn't that much higher than the rear one. The truck isn't going to be lettered up at all so i shouldn't have to worry about that. From what all info I have received, I have decided to put the brakes on the front axle for now and maybe add them to the back axle latter in the year if I feel that I need them.

10. Triple L

Triple L LawnSite Senior Member

Myn came on the front axle only, both axles are the best but it depends on how much money you got. Never seen them only on the back, but thats Canada