Which backpack blower should be next ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EDEN77, Jan 21, 2006.

1. EDEN77

EDEN77 LawnSite Member

Hey to all other landscapers waiting for an early spring.

I want to buy a new backpack blower this spring. I used to have Toro's 41cc blower. Then I bought the Echo 58cc model. After that I bought 2 Echo 63cc blowers with an air volume w/o tubes of 620 cfm. I've been checking the net and with my equipment dealer and am considering the Stihl BR 600, the Redmax EBZ8000, and the Shindaiwa EB8510 and EB8510RT. I'm a big guy and have no problem carrying a heavy backpack blower. The Shindaiwa is rated most powerful but costs around $600.00 compared to the Redmax for around $500.00. Anyone used any of the models listed above ? Which model is most POWERFUL from your experience ?
  2. zmowing

zmowing LawnSite Member
    from York,PA

Shindaiwa, Starts and works great.
    Stihl, Starts hard less power.
  3. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Redmax, TONS of power, and ive only got the eb7001!!!
  4. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Red Max all the way!!! You can't beat Red Max for pure power, reliability, and easy starts! I LOVE my EB7001! :cool:
  5. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

redmax 8000-its a real monster and easy to start.
  6. mowingtowing

mowingtowing LawnSite Member

i havent used a redmax but i love my echo pb651's
    just for comparason, they put a stihl br420 to shame.
  7. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Depends on what you want to do???
    Blow wet leaves?
    blow grass from dry concrete sidewalks?
    I have the husky 145 bt that I use for daily blowing but when it is wet or caked on crap I grab the BR600.

Tried the redmax, larger huskys, shindys, and the stihl is easy to start if you read your owners manual and has much power. It just depends on what you want to do. DOn't buy a big blower if you are only blowing grass off walks.

BENTLEY'S LawnSite Member

Get the Stihl BR600. Powerful, comfortable, quiet. By far one of my better purchases.

9. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been running the Redmax blowers since about 2001 or so. I had been running Echo's for six years prior to that. I had a bad experience with the Echo 650, which they hadn't worked the bugs out of yet. I got mad and swithhed over to RM. The 7000's and 7001's have been good, the 8000's I have not been happy with. Mostly small issues that were covered under warranty, but a PITA anyway. At a year old, these blowers definitely do not have the power that they did. I was in a pinch this fall, with two of my 8000's down, and my dealer let me take a new Echo 751 as a loaner. My men and I really like the Echo, and had no issues with it. I feel it is just as powerful as the 8000. I am going to start phasing out my Redmax blowers and start buying Echo again.
  10. EDEN77

EDEN77 LawnSite Member

I use 1 backpack blower for everything: sweeping grass off walks, cleaning out beds in spring and fall, etc. Again, I'm a big guy, so using a heavy backpack blower has been no problem for 20 years now. I want pure, unadulterated leaf blowing power. Actually, I'm new at this forum. If I had searched first, I would have seen that last fall you guys really got into it on this subject. The only thing I can conclude is that Stihl, Echo, Redmax, Shindaiwa ALL make good blowers. It's like arguing who makes the best truck. The Ford, Chevy, Dodge etc. owners all claim they have the best. In the past, my dealer let me demo a new Stihl 400 and an Echo 60. They both were good, but on exactly the same area, the Echo was only sightly more powerful, so I bought the Echo. But, I have a Stihl chainsaw, trimmer, & power pole pruner so I know Stihl is excellent. I am looking forward to the thread on this next Friday to find out more. I really want to know who makes the most powerful blower period. When I moved up to the Echo 650 4 years ago, I was impressed that even though the air speed was still around 200 mph, the cfm was much higher than my older 60 model. But, trying to get any consensus is not going to happen. Everyone's input has been helpful, though. Thanks.