Which bed edger??

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by merrimacmill, May 18, 2008.

1. merrimacmill

merrimacmill LawnSite Senior Member

I know this has been talked about quite a bit, but it seems that most of the convorsations on here about this are "well get this brand, its what I have and its good". I want to know why its better than any of the other ones. This is my first year and we haven't gotten a break with the mulching jobs. I've already installed over 75 yards of mulch since april. I got into this expecting mostly a demand for mowing, but its mostly all been mulching and clean-ups.

Anyways, about 80 percent of our time on a mulch job is spent doing the edging trenches. Right now I cut it using a stick edger, then dig it out using a flat shovel and a garden hoe. It comes out pretty good, but no where near what I've seen these dedicated machines do. I think I've found enough of a demand to purchase one of these machines, so now its time to start looking at the different brands.

The ones I'm interested in are the Little Wonder bed shaper, and the BlueBird Bed Bug. I think that the Little wonder would have better parts and service availibility for me, since there is two close by dealers. The blue bird seems to have more features though. Such as how you can lock the wheels to get a perfect straight line. Maybe the little wonder does all this, but its just not as advertised.

Any opinions/experience on these two machines or other machines I should be looking at? I'm looking to spend around $2500 on one, but less is always better. As long as it is a quality machine that will last.

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Have you thought of renting the ones you like just to get the feel for them before laying down the cash?

3. merrimacmill

No I haven't actually. Thats a pretty good idea. I didn't even know they rented those. I always fuigered that if a homeowner needs to edge, they'll do it by hand. If a landscaper needs to edge, they either do it so little that they do it by hand, or probibly do it enough that they'll have one.

4. gorknoids

gorknoids LawnSite Senior Member

http://www.horseandgardensupply.com/trenchmaster_bededger.htm
    We have 3 or 4 different cutters, the most profitable of which cuts an 8" deep slit for installing invisible dog fence wire. The 4", 45 degree bed edge cutter will pay for itself in no time if you're kick edging. Just be advised that you WILL become an expert in sprinkler head replacement and adjustment if you don't flag every job!

5. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

The Turfco Edgerite. This is the one that the golf courses use to edge around sand traps. Does a neat job and since it vibrates like a sodcutter, doesn't throw trash everywhere. All you have to do is pick up a ribbon of sod, after you are done, and there other blades for other jobs available.:waving:

6. merrimacmill

I was talking to a couple local landscapers today who are running the Little Wonder BedShaper, and seem to really like it. Anyone here have experience with this machine? Its the one I see on ALL the trailers around here too.

7. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I know Lowes (NationsRent) carries a bed edger so you may try there first.

8. justgreen

justgreen LawnSite Member

I called my local Little Wonder dealer, and since they don't have a bed edger on site, they are going to bring in one for me as a test. They said I can take it and use it for a couple hours and then bring it in for free. Anyway, maybe you should talk to you dealer before plunking down the change. But I hear you, I can't stand using a spade anymore, and I edge so much, I may as well get one.

9. ooo

ooo LawnSite Member

I have used the Bluebird and the EZ-trench. They both work well, but the newer model Ez-Trench with the double front wheel worked best for me.

10. john_incircuit

john_incircuit LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I really don't like the BlueBird, while it has some nice features, the cut is not good. The EZ with the 6 HP engine is much better and also makes it easier to re-edge the same edge again.