Which billing and software software?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Soupy, Oct 22, 2003.

1. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I'm looking for a good software to run my Lawn Care business. For the past 11 years we have only offered mowing, pruning Aeration etc. We are now going to offer Lawn Apps. I am going to promote this service as much as possible and have big hopes that it will be successful. I will knock on every door in in town if I have to.

We have been using QuickBooks Pro 2000, But I'm looking for something to schedule and maintain chemical records. But most important, I want something that will make us look just as Professional as the big National companies. What I mean by this is a program that will create professional 3 copy invoices and estimate sheets. I have looked into Realgreen's Lawn and Pest Assistant 3. For a 500- customer base the cost is $2995. then $65 a month after the first 6 months. This doesn't include mapping. It also doesn't include room/board and car rental fee for them to come and set the program up with 2 days of training.

I like the simplicity of Gopher, but I need something that will create top notch invoices. But right now I'm trying to figure out how I can keep cost low and still get the professional looking invoices that I want.

My question to you guys is, Do you know of any alternatives to what I'm looking for?

2. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

i use lawn monkey or groundskeeper.lawn monkey is around 8 and 1000 where as the groundskeeper is around 349 i think.gopher has a good setup you should check it out.i downloaded the sample of it and found that i liked lawn monkey better.

3. chuckwk

chuckwk Founder
    from KC, MO

4. Soupy

I just finished downloading these programs. Will these programs give me flexibilty in invoicing?

Also, Is Qxpress and Lawnmonkey the same program. I was looking on the website and noticed that lawnmonkey has a version called Lawnmonkey visual (or somthing like that) But when I downloaded the trial it was the same as Qxpress.

Thanks,
    Soupy

5. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi Soupy,

If you get a chance as you try out these different programs, tell us what you think we could improve on. We want to make Gopher the best program out there :)

6. Soupy

Team Gopher, I would like to see mapping, and better invoicing. I want to be able to suggest up-sells with every invoice.

From what I messed around with today. I like the simplicity of your program, and the mapping feature in Lawn Monkey. I have not been able to use Lawn Assistant because they don't have a Demo. But I like the Idea of how it implements marketing features.

Right now it is between these three programs. on one hand I want to go with your program for it's price and simplicity. But on the other hand I feel that Lawn Assistant will pay for itself in up-sells.

Now if you could implement these features and still keep the cost down, I think you would have a chance to run away with the market.

I think in Software you could make more money in volume selling. 10 users at $500 is better then 5 users at $800. Especially since a lot of lawn care operators don't have a lot of start up capital. Plus with a low cost do it all program you wouldn't have to market it as heavy because every one here would do that for you.

With that said, I think you are doing a great Job oferring a low cost program allready, I just think it would be nice to add these features for the more serious users and keeping price down so you can dominate the market.

That's my $.02 worth :)

7. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

DITTO!!!! DING DING DING!!!!!! Thats what EVERY program needs is directional software! This would really work better for guys with laptops in their trucks, but you should offer maps of roads for complete states w/ your program when you order. So I could order Michigan, and some guy from Flordia can order his state too. Then, you type in an address, and your current location and direction, and then have the mapping program pops up a dialog box telling you which road to go down first. So as your driving, you come up to the next intersection, and you need the next road directions, so all you do is push a key on your laptop keyboard (like the space bar or something) and the next road to start driving on comes up on the dialog box. Now THAT is a feature I would pay for!!! (Especially in neighborhoods with "hidden driveways").

Thats my $.02

:D

8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I use LM Pro Plus....I got it at the GIE last year for $749 (reg $849). It does not have zone based scheduling, which is what you would use for lawn applications. I am going to upgrade to Qxpress Gold at no additional charge. This is the same thing has LM Pro Plus, but offers zone based scheduling and does not offer the accounting part of the program, since it intergrates with Quickbooks Pro (which I recently purchased of Ebay). I believe that LM offers a basic program for around $349. LM Visual is somewhere around the $2800 price and offers ALL the plug-ins', including mapping, email invoicing, scanning. Scanning would be great if you were dealing with many accounts To add just the mapping software is in the neighbor hood of $500. It will print a route sheet (which you can do without mapping) and it will draw the shortest route for yours crews to take with all the address and any notes you have for each property that you have pre-entered. I have recently been playing with the job costing side of the program and have found this helpful in figuring "cost of doing business" which is cery important for a growing, successful business.

Good luck
    MATT

9. Lawn Care Louie

Lawn Care Louie LawnSite Member

I just found out that Lawn Assistant offers an actual demo cd. Their salesman, Matt, sent it to me. I can test up to ten customers using their pre-loaded company setup.

I think I'm in love.:blob3: