Which Blade Grinder

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by pclawncare, May 22, 2008.

1. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking for a blade grinder that i can grind walker blades with. The problem i think i am going to have is that the walker blades are different on either side it looks like most griners the motor will be in the way to grind one side. Any one who grinds walker blades feel free to chime in with what model you have or brand

2. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Magna-Matic 8000.

Does all blades.
    Left and right-handed, and mulch blades, too.

3. pclawncare

pclawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I wasnt really wanting to spend that kind of money but the 9000 series might work anything against that model?

4. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Never used one.

If it's built anything like the 8000, It will be good.

5. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

i just use a dewalt angle grinder i dont think the grinder is that important. now the blade balancer? yes spend a good amount of money on that. the balance and trueness of the blade is the most important.

6. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello,
    RBG or OREGON or BRANDELIN
    The RBG and Oregon spin at 1700 rpm .The Brandelin spins at 3400rpm =quicker i suspect to use [u can only grind as fast as the machine and to much at one time will overheat the blade any way ]
    When grinding have a container of water and dip the blade every pass or every second pass

I personally use the 1 1/2 hp oregon
    buy the highest hp u can afford
    less hp = more time to sharpen [my time is important ]
    there is a 2 hp RBG so u would easily assume that any machines 1/2hp and some 3/4 hp are very poor in performance by comparison
    at least a 8 inch stone
    10inch stone there are many different grades available
    12 inch there is only a very limited amount
    have many blade sets at least to last u a 3-4 week period then sharpen all at same time

tomo:waving: