Which blades are best in high grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by googles, Mar 14, 2005.

1. googles

googles LawnSite Senior Member

Grass grows so fast in spring and I usually have a hard time with the grass clumping. I have heard that high lift blades are the best. Is that true??? And what about high lift mulch blades, or should I just stick with regular blades. I use 36" scag belt driven walk behinds.

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Try double high lifts or Meg-mos

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

High lift mulch blades can actually increase the amount of clumping...stick with straight high lift. The idea is you want to disperse the clippings as fast and as far away as possible leaving a clean cut. Mulch blades will hold the clippings under the deck longer, grind the clippings up more, and make them ball up as they disperse from the deck (and not as far) as well.

4. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

Put on a fresh set of sharp double blades every day in the high growth season.

5. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm with rodfather on this one. I just put high lifts on and watch that grass fly out the chute. However, the high lifts do suck more power and gas so only run them when you have too.

6. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I use Gators in high grass.

7. LawnJohn

LawnJohn LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

Gators all the way..

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The only thing with gators, is that they tend to leave little balls of grass on the surface that are visible after it's dried. Several people on here, including myself, have testified to this. For a little 36, I would say stick with the highlifts, and keep them razor sharp.

9. metiernan

metiernan LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I see some people say to use double blades. Doesn't that bog down the engine and isn't it hard on the machine? I just run the regular blades my dealer sells me on my exmark 60 inch. Their is a Encore dealer in town who is obsessed with the gator blades with the teeth on them and says how they cut like a dream. I was not impressed with them. They clumped up the grass and kept more grass under the deck. I do use them to mulch leaves with and they work great.

10. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Try them. Its the only way to know.