1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

which blades are best ??

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by sda1416, Jul 23, 2004.

1. sda1416

sda1416 LawnSite Member

I"m having a problem with dandelions and some grasses not being cut good enough, seems like they just lay down, then pop back up. Needing to change blades anyway, what is the best cutting blade that will suck up the dandelions and cut'em up ?
  2. BladesAway

BladesAway LawnSite Member
    from Ok

I use snappers ninja blades on my snapper walkbehind and use rapter blades on my toro ztr and toro push mower.
  3. bobcat175

bobcat175 LawnSite Senior Member

2 gator blades and a reg hi-lift on the discharge/bag side. I would check to see how clean the underside of your deck is. Sounds like your not getting enough suction.
  4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Any blade with a LONG CUTTING EDGE. Like exmarks excalibers.

5. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

I agree with bobcat, blades can't overcome a poorly designed or debri-clogged deck. After replacing my old JD with a Country Clipper, I've been pleasantly surprised how well it sucks in the grass just beyond the deck along sidewalks and driveways. Has made trimming a lot easier, and I can use the discharge chute as a power blower. I think this is due to the better designed (and deeper) deck and the higher blade tip speed (almost 19,000 fpm). I was also advised that for taller (since they grow faster than grass) weeds, do a first pass at your highest cutting height; this helps 'stand them up' for mowing at the desired height (with sharp blades, of course).