Which blades do you like better?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Dunn's, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

For those that have Exmark Turf Tracer HP 48 Do you like the gator stlye mulching blade or the wave style mulching blade better?

Thank in advance for all replies

2. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

I have the 52 inch deck and have used both the standard and the gators. For cutting grass around here I prefer the blades that came with the mower, but when it comes to leaf clean ups I like the gators.

3. Dunn's

Did yours come with the high lifts?

We currently use gators on our other machines and they work great. Just was unsre how they would work on the exmark because I have heard on hear how changing the blades made drastic changes in the cut.

Also the high lifts are just leaving way to big of grass blades after cutting and forcing us to double cut yards that normally would not need to be double cut. All the grass is cut no stringers or anything just the grass that was cut is left to long so it does not disperse into the lawn.

4. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

I believe they were high lifts that came standard on my exmark. In my area I was forced to double cut most of the year do to over fertilization of lawns by the fertilizer companies, amount of rain fall during the mowing season, and the use of irrigation system on the lawns. They lawns would grow at such a rapid rate that even the lawns I was cutting twice a week for customers I often had to do a double cut. I found between the gators and the high lifts on the exmark deck the high lifts left the best final cut. But I used gators on everyone of my other mowers with really good success. Though the best deck out of all my mowers was on my exmark.

Good luck to you.

5. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 32" Exmark Viking hydro mower. I bought it used and it had the complete mulch kit with those waved blades on them. Did a good job. I have run it all week without the mulch kit but just those blades on and it did good as well. I'm changing the blades over the weekend. I'm gonna try a set of Gator Blades and see what happens.

6. Dunn's

let me know how those work out

7. trinity1

trinity1 LawnSite Member

I have a turf tracer and a Lazer Iput on Gators and i will never use another blade. I cut thick long wet St augustine and they make a huge difference. You have to use the straight gators not the mulching blade and they do a great jod with or without a mulch kit

8. Icepuck72

Icepuck72 LawnSite Senior Member

So the straight Gators will work fine with a mulching kit?

9. trinity1

trinity1 LawnSite Member

They work great with a mulch kit. I have tried every @&#$*(! blade out there and the straight gator does the best job in thick high grass and we use them with and without mulch kits.

10. Icepuck72

Icepuck72 LawnSite Senior Member

Gotcha....thanks