Which Blades to use with bagger

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by ENKY, Sep 10, 2007.

1. ENKY

ENKY LawnSite Member

Hi
    I have a 07 48/19 Fastrack and just purchased the Bagger and Adapter kit (major heavy duty bagger).
    Which blades would work best for bagging leaves. Would it be better to use the gator blades to get more in the bags? What are the didderent blades available for this model Hustler?

Thanks

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Gators would certainly shred up dry grass and leaves more for better compaction and more capacity in the catcher.
    Wet grass and leaves may not be as good and you may get some clumping / build up in the deck.
    A big factor is how much your trying to get in a single pass, how tall the grass is / and how deep the leaves are.

Pj

3. ENKY

ENKY LawnSite Member

Do you have Part# for the gator Blades 48in Fasttrack

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

48" FasTrak Gator blade part # 796631

5. Advance The Man

Advance The Man LawnSite Member

PJ - I've ordered the older bagger for my 2005 model year 52" Fastrak.

Would you recommend I do the install? Is it difficult?

Would you recommend different blades than the original stock blades that are on it?

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

If you are a mechanical type of person it will be a average job for you, if not then I would let the dealer install it.
    I would run stock or Gator blades with it.

7. Advance The Man

I'm not the most mechanically inclined, but the estimate for install was for 3 hours at $55/hour. If there is no cutting of the deck (I'm assuming there isn't) then $165 seems a bit steep. Is there any cutting? Should this take 3 hours?

8. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

If I recall correctly on some older models there is a piece of steel that needs to be cut.
    3 hours, I guess that time would vary from dealer to dealer in regards to how many they have installed.

9. Advance The Man

Thought I'd post a review of the bagger for a 2005 Fastrak 52". This would be the same (I think) for the 44". The cost for the bagger and weight attachment was around $800.

The install was estimated to take 3 hours at $55/hour at the local dealer. I'd say that is accurate for one person. My neighbor and I completed it just under 2 hours. There was drilling though the steel with a 13/16" bit and cutting a portion of the deck and the vac (plastic portion) to make room for the pulleys (operate the vac system). It was easy enough, but you need the right tools to do these cuts. The bagger itself is better quality than the store bought tractor I had. The one exception is where it attaches to the deck, it is held in place with only (2) 1" bolts that clamps down on the vac mechanism. I foresee this slipping off with a little bump on a tree or shrub. Note: once you have the bagger installed, you cannot simply decide you don't want to use it without spending an hour or so taking it apart. Once you engage the blades, the vac system turns on.

Cut the lawn today with the bagger system. I'll preface this by saying it has rained a lot lately and the ground was moist. It vacuums up the grass initially well, but dumps it in the 'right side' bag first (the bag that is closest to chute). This is a flaw because this side will fill up first and to the point where grass is too high for the new grass going through the chute to make it to the 'left side' bag. So when I would dump it out, only the right side would be full and the left side would only be half full. I'm considering putting a baffle on to try to get the grass to go over the 'right side bag' so it will go in the left side first. This caused it to completely clog up the chute twice and causes cut grass to go back on the ground. The fix is to pull the grass out with your hands. The two bags are about the size of a 30 gallon bag. I was stopping frequently. It would be nice to have the bags much larger. I did not enjoy using the bagger today and feel it should have operated much better. But I will withhold my final verdict until I mow with the lawn completely dry.

10. TSG

TSG LawnSite Senior Member

I have found that when bagging, High lifts give you the best job.
    In a perfect world, run them over with gators
    and puck them up with high lifts.
    This year I will run gators on my WB at a high setting
    then cut and pick up at a lower setting
    Just my .02