Which blower?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by soilman, Sep 11, 2005.

1. soilman

soilman LawnSite Member

The Echo PB-403 would be ideal, if it didn't weigh 20.7 pounds, compared to the PB-260L being 14.5 pounds. (http://www.echo-usa.com/prods_list.asp?Category=POWERBLOWER)

I am 140 pounds and 5 feet 11 inches tall and wondering if I might have trouble with carrying a 20.7 pound backpack for awhile. I have heard that the 403 provides plenty of power but am not sure about the 260L. The 403 is only about $30 more than the 260L, and I think it is a better value (44 cc's as compared to 25.4) -- but the extra power won't do me much good if I get worn out from carrying it.

Does anyone use a 260L? Does it provide enough power to lift some dirt and sand, as well as leaves? Can anyone compare it with a 403, which I've heard from several sources has "power to spare." What I want to know, is does the 260L have "sufficient power." I need to clean up after edging sidewalks that haven't been edged for a month or more, as well as to do fall leaf cleanups. Or do you think I will have no problem carrying around the 403? If so -- it is a better value.

Thanks in advance.

2. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

Hey, I once carried a BR400 backpack for 3 hours to clean up a school I mowed, and it didnt tire me out any, so I doubt you'd have a problem with it. but why settle for a 44cc blower? what you SHOULD go with is a 50+cc engine. more power means you get done sooner.

3. Mike's Yard Services

Mike's Yard Services LawnSite Member

The 403 should be fine....just be sure to adjust the straps so it is not hanging down to your azzzzzzzzzzz..otherwise, I also have a 260 as my backup, or for my daughter when she's out helping to make a little cash (She is 15,5-6,110). Mike

4. soilman

soilman LawnSite Member

Mike's Yard Services, is your daughter able to use the 403? Is it difficult for her? I don't think I'm an awful lot bigger. My wrists are only about 6 inches in circumference, chest 36 inches, waist about 32. No, you don't need to tell me your daughter's measurements, LOL... I don't want to wear myself out carrying around something that is too heavy for me.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You are correct about the weight being a big factor in productivity when you are on the small size. Not much available under 20# in the backpack. I like the feel of the Stihl BR420 but it is around 20#, you might check to see if any dealers have the BR400 it was lighter and not bad.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Put in the 4-liter bmw v-8 engine, much better, more power.
    Come to think of it, just take the 5.0 12-cylinder and go all out, I mean you'd likely get a 1-acre lot FULL of leaves blown off before the engine gets a chance to revv all the way.

7. soilman

soilman LawnSite Member

ed2hess
    Yup.

8. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Come to think of it, just take the 5.0 12-cylinder and go all out, I mean you'd likely get a 1-acre lot FULL of leaves blown off before the engine gets a chance to revv all the way.[/QUOTE]

lol...this would be a great conversion project!

9. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Just get the PB-650. But get a diving weight belt, otherwise you might get blown away. :D

10. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

lol...this would be a great conversion project![/QUOTE]

Talk about conversation project, Had a customer buy a new push mower from us about 10yrs. ago. They complained about no power, I couldn't find anything wrong with it. Come to find out they had just bought a place that hasn't been mowed in years (grass over a foot tall) After the third time back complaining I snatched the 5hp briggs off and dropped a 12hp on then called them back up. He took one look at that mower and said there's no way I can push that thing across the yard, I said your right and handed him a business card for a commerical service and said have them mow it a couple times THEN you can maintain it. ;)