1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

which blower?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by redfin92, Jan 3, 2007.

1. redfin92

redfin92 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I am going to buy a hand held blower. I've narrowed it down to the Echo PB230LN or the Stihl BG 85. They are both the same price and both respectable brands. Just wanting opinions on both.
  2. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Never used Echo blowers, but I definitely am happy w/ my BG 85.
  3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I know the echo 210 is a solid blower but we also have the Stihl and I think I would go with it. I like the extra pading.
  4. fishinpa

fishinpa LawnSite Senior Member
    from SE PA

How much $$ are we talking here?
  5. redfin92

redfin92 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I was quoted $220 for either one.
  6. Martino

Martino LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

The Echo is built more solid and has a much better engine. The Stihl is underpowered, in my opinion.
  7. dmanindfw

dmanindfw LawnSite Member
    from DFW, TX

Not sure how you can say the Stihl is underpowered. When you compare the specs of the models he listed, the Stihl seems to be the more powerful of the two easily. CFM * Air speed. Echo is 365 cfm * 160 mph = 58400 versus the Stihl at 341 cfm * 183 mph = 62403. Plus the Stihl has a larger engine...22.8 cc for the Echo and 27.2 cc for the Stihl. The Stihl also weighs a bit less which definitely makes a difference for hand held blowers. Less weight = less fatigue.
  8. redfin92

redfin92 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Thanks for the opinions and info. I think I will go with the BG 85.
  9. josh1981

josh1981 LawnSite Senior Member

I have the BG 85 and its a wonderful machine. You wont be dissapointed!
  10. Martino

Martino LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Any idea how the mfgs. arrived at their specs? How they are measured? By what means? Where the measurements are taken from?

You can't solely rely on the specs, particularly with blowers......there is no "industry" standard way of measuring specs. You gotta try 'em out, side by side, to get a true comparison.

Another thing you can't do is rely on the cc size of the engine....that's a measurement of size, not power. Remember the Stihl FS 36/40/44 trimmers? 31.5cc, while their more powerful, commercial trimmers were coming in at around 24cc. For a 27.2cc engine (same one as on the homeowner line of equipment), I just think it underperforms.