which blowers are best?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MIKEJ, Feb 10, 2003.

1. MIKEJ

MIKEJ LawnSite Member

I am now using backpack blowers for the most part but am considering buying a push blower. I am also thinking of a leaf loader but not really sure which one to get. First, is the push blower really going to be more productive for me doing clean ups.Second, can anybody give me some advice on which models (blowers and loaders) I should look at. dont need anything to crazy but would like to get something decent. Thanks guys.
  2. Husker1982

Husker1982 LawnSite Senior Member

What ever you do buy a little wonder!!!!!!!!!!

I have a billy goat and wish i had a LW after using my buddies.

To tell you the truth I will never buy another push blower again. I like the back packs better. They are more versatle, and cheaper. The push blowers are sometimes to powerfull for their own good. Residentials are faster for us with backpacks and any big lots we use baggers for the mowers. With all the new bagging units out you can make a 3 man job a 1 man job. You should look into that.
  3. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Depends on what size properties you are using them on. I find that ground blowers are useless on small properties, cause they are just too powerful. As far as being more productive, let's just put it this way. I can blow a green barrel down the road with my ground blowers. Ground blowers are good for clearing a big area. You will still need backpacks for cleaning out beds and corners. As far as leaf loaders I would look at Billygoat, and Giant vac if you have them available. If you do large clean ups I would not be without a leaf loader. As far as models they really just vary by power, depending on what suites you.
  4. IBGreen

IBGreen LawnSite Senior Member

Everyone says their Little Wonder blowers are the greatest thing since birth control.
  5. Husker1982

Husker1982 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't own one but man my buddie who has one can use his to out blow mine.
  6. ipm

ipm LawnSite Senior Member

We use Little Wonder push blowers/ 9hp. They work very well. As mentioned above, Push blowers are more efficient if you have large open areas. In the fall they are good for leaf removal, etc. If you have a bunch of residential properties you would be better off having 3 or 4 back pack blowers and the man power to use them. I don't know your situation. We use street blowers on our commercial sites and some of the larger residential sites. Hope this helps. I do recommend Little Wonder.
  7. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

i love the little wonders an i have several but a good friend of mine swears by the fradan brand cause you can get them in a 16 h.p an they blow the hell out of some leaves !!
  8. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

Buffalo Turbine Blowers will out blow a BillyGoat/Little Wonder 16hp all day long.....they are incredible. We have one that mounts on our Walker. One of the best pieces of equipment we own. Lil pricey at $4k...but makes cleanups a breeeeeze!!

One SERIOUS machine....real moneymaker

9. baddboygeorge

baddboygeorge LawnSite Bronze Member

PR0 TURF you ever seen the turbines that go on the grasshopper units i wonder if they work the same or better .
  10. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

Another vote for the little wonder. I have a 9HP Honda and the thing just does one thing and that is move some serious air. I also agree that it is best for large lawns where you aren't worried about blowing mulch out of the beds.