Which box truck for lawn service route??

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by PLS-Tx, Aug 31, 2011.

1. StihlMechanic

StihlMechanic LawnSite Bronze Member

When I was a tech at a JD dealer ship we had an NPR with a landscape bed for deliveries of equipment. The thing would turn on a dime, very easy to maneuver and drive. I would service it in the off season (winter). Everything was easy to get to by flipping the cab forward. One year we had a new guy who couldn't drive a manual trans and burned the clutch up. Compared to other vehicles, replacing the clutch was less labor intensive due to the cab over design. I would imagine you are buying an auto trans, but if it were manual the design equals less labor at a shop saving money. Personally, my plans are to buy an NPR as well. Pulling a trailer is so inefficient.

2. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

Thanks for the feedback, I'm leaning more towards the Isuzu NPR.

I would much rather have the 16' box than 14' but it seems like it's a better truck and much more compact.

We do plan to keep our 20' enclosed trailer for now. If the Isuzu works out like I think it will we may sell the enclosed and get a second Isuzu.

used-2006-isuzu_landscape-npr-basetrim-8869-7518105-4-640.jpg

used-2006-isuzu_landscape-npr-basetrim-8869-7518105-7-640.jpg

used-2006-isuzu_landscape-npr-basetrim-8869-7518105-3-640.jpg

3. StihlMechanic

Is that in Ft. Worth? I saw the same truck online at a dealership.

4. PLS-Tx

from Texas

Yes, Industrial Power.

5. PLS-Tx

from Texas

Anyone else have thoughts on which truck would be best?

The main area of concern for me with the Isuzu is the fact it was an Aaron's rental truck. I'm sure it has seen it's share of abuse with the kids that drive them.

6. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Post some pics of tghe GMC

Im not positive but the only major difference between the 2 trucks is one is a deisel and the othe r is a gas burner. I think general motors still owns Isuzu, and the 2 trucks most likley use the same transmission and differentual as well as breaking system, and most of the electronics are likley the same.

7. PLS-Tx

from Texas

I tried to copy and past the GMC pics but couldn't get it to work. I will look for another way to post them.

8. PLS-Tx

from Texas

This is what the GMC looks like.

100_1737.JPG

61417395.jpg

9. StihlMechanic

I know this will start a war but expect trans issues with the GMC. The 6.0 is a good engine though.

10. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Thats basicall what Im running.

I dont know what the transmission would be, and as far as I know the Isuzu uses the same transmission as the GMC.