1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Which brand is easiest to repair and service?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bigsnowdog, Jul 25, 2008.

1. bigsnowdog

bigsnowdog LawnSite Member

There is much discussion here about mowing quality, parts life, ride, component reliability, and so on. I am curious to see what the opinions of the group are with respect to which brand of ZTR & front mount is easiest to repair, service, and maintain. Please include mid-mounts and front mounts; in all of the brands so dear to our members.

Discuss and explain, please....
  2. kayakn

kayakn LawnSite Member

hustler is very easy to change oil,and you don't have to go under the mower.
  3. sweetz

sweetz LawnSite Bronze Member

Where is the solenoid located when you need to jump start the mower because the starter switch won't work? At least on the 36" model. It's hidden behind the reservoir for the hydros. You have to use something like a pair of needle nose pliers to even think of arcing the solenoid.

Look at & read some of my past posts about Hustler.
  4. dapiccolawn

dapiccolawn LawnSite Member

Exmark -Although they are not all 100% easy to service(nothing is), they are reliable. hydro filters are a little tricky to get to at first but easy enough once you get it down. As far as break downs.. None to speak of..

Toro Zmasters - I have had more problems with these mowers in shorter intervals(other than Hustler). Hydro lines leaking, pumps going up, electrical issues etc etc.

Hustler - Junk. Don't even go there.

I had a lazer Z that had close to 3000 hours on it and it didn't even burn oil! The most major replacement part was the blade clutch at every 800-900 hours! Maybe a 200 - 300 dollar part?

5. sweetz

sweetz LawnSite Bronze Member

Wish I had known this!!! At least before I bought one!!!! Now I know that.
  6. MONTE

MONTE LawnSite Senior Member

Country Clipper!
  7. jkingrph

jkingrph LawnSite Senior Member

My Scag Wildcat is easy to service, most grease fittings are easy to access, a couple are low so jacking mower up makes it easier, otherwise i need to lay down on ground to see it. As for oil change the engine comes with an on off valve with a right angle nipple pointing down through a hole in the frame. A shallow pan holding two quarts would be fine to catch but I use an old 1 gallon paint can that does not fit too well, so I slipped a piece of rubber hose over the nipple,and tuck it too the back when I am not changing oil. I put a plug in the end , actualy a hose nipple with a screw on cap as a safety in case main valve should open but I do not see that happening...This unit is the easiest to service that I have ever had especially blade changes.
  8. Phil G

Phil G LawnSite Senior Member

Which brand is easiest to repair and service?

None I hope. C'mom guys, you trying to do us mechanics out of a job. Maybe I'm thinking they should make them harder to service, just like modern cars :laugh:
    atb Phil
  9. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Scag turf tigers were great in the past. Clutch, pumps, belts could be changed from the back with a wrench or two. Wiring harness was easy to get at everything. Gas tank under the seat so it didn't get in your way. Our '07 has buried the oil drain valve but everything else seems ok. Definitely a little tighter than the older models though.
  10. Hawg City Lawns

Hawg City Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

id like to see if anyone says bad boy and theyre swing away design im really looking into one right now