Which brand mulcher head is best?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by rutwad, Aug 12, 2006.

1. rutwad

rutwad LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

I've looked around and guess what, every saleman swears his equipment brand is the best. This is where I need your help. Can anybody chime in about the FAE, Loftness, Gyro trak, magnum, or fecon mulchers?

Gyrotrac guarantees their Toma Ax 500HF will out cut any others. I looked at one brand (can't remember which one) that had chisel type teeth that needed sharpening. This seems terribly time consuming. Others have carbide-tip teeth with no sharpening.

What are any good or bad points about any? It will be used on an ASV RC100
  2. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Definately get carbide teeth.

From what I've heard, Fecon is pretty much the best out there, but all comes down to price. The Loftness models require sharpening of blades, that's no fun. The Fecon models I've seen seem to be very well built, that's what I'd buy if available.
  3. Stroker

Stroker LawnSite Member

That is just the Loftness Timber Ax... I have the Loftness Carbide Cutter. I decided after demoing it and the Magnum.
  4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for correcting me, maybe I was looking at the Timber Ax.
  5. rutwad

rutwad LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Why did you go this way? The more I look, the more I hear the magnum is best.
  6. rutwad

rutwad LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Stroker, which magnum did you demo. I believe they recently came out with the XL165-5 which is better than the previous head.
    I was thinking magnum for sure, but now I am waiting to demo a FAE. Salesman sold magnum, now sells FAE. He says FAE is much better and want to demonstrate how. Spending this much money, I want to know when I get in the woods that I've got the best head available. If there is much difference, one may end up saving me time at job sites. That means less charges for the clients. Happier client, better advertising through word of mouth.
  7. jsbiker

jsbiker LawnSite Member

look at the companies that have been around the longest and keep improving not just amking changes.
    look at how the unit is made.. look at the fit of the parts
  8. MikeAtv

MikeAtv LawnSite Member

I've looked at the Fecon on line and at the Cat rentel store.rutwad what kind of machine are you going to put it on?
  9. rutwad

rutwad LawnSite Member
    from Alabama

Mike, asv rc100
  10. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

I am trying to decide between the magnum, fae, or carbide cutter. I like the simplicity of the loftness but my Bobcat dealer won't even carry loftness because of poor customer service (their words).

Tell us what you liked about the loftness vs. magnum other than the price.