1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Which brand trimmer would you buy?

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by supercutz, Feb 12, 2014.

What trimmers would you buy?

Poll closed Apr 13, 2014.
  1. Stihl

16 vote(s)
  2. Shindaiwa

6 vote(s)
  3. Husqvarna

6 vote(s)
  4. Echo

10 vote(s)
  5. Mauryama

3 vote(s)
  6. Redmax

8 vote(s)
  1. nervjiggy

nervjiggy LawnSite Member

I like echo. I may be biased because it's all I've ever used but they're great.
  2. ilike2mow

ilike2mow LawnSite Bronze Member

I've tried stihl but I'm like you; strictly echo handheld equipment (other than my husky backpack blower)
    Posted via Mobile Device
  3. peeklandscaping

peeklandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

Stihl all the way
  4. rarieta

rarieta LawnSite Member

When I purchased my eXmark LZX my dealer had a promo where you can choose a Husq trimmer, blower or chainsaw. I chose the blower 580bts. I was skeptical at first as everyone uses Stihl machines, but I'm really happy with the blower. I also purchased at the same time a trimmer.

I was able to compare both trimmers in the field and I really like the Husq. Stringing it is a breeze as you don't have to have two pieces of string. You take one length, fold it in half and wrap it around the head. I did notice that my Stihl seems like it has a little more torque, but it is definitely a bit heavier.

All in all, both are nice, but I grab the Husq because of the lighter weight and easier to string up.

5. Jacobcammack

Jacobcammack LawnSite Member

I have ran echo now for ten years and I have to say they are great. I would like to get my hands on a shindiawia. But I would never go to any other brand. My trailer has echo, exmark, toro, and billygoat
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. LawnMowerMan2003

LawnMowerMan2003 LawnSite Senior Member

I noticed the same thing on my new Echo. I like that it's only one piece of string; it makes it quick and you could measure your string in advance and take a coupe ready to go; I don't really need to at this point, but I may in the future.
  7. FGL landscaping

FGL landscaping LawnSite Member

go demo a stihl combi unit km-110 edger and weed-eater, go swing it at some Bahia as tall as your knees and it will knock it down in one swing. and it cost me less than the pas-280 that i own that bogs down in the same conditions. i'm not saying it's not a GOOD machine, i'm just saying stihl and shindy's are in a diff. class of their own
  8. FGL landscaping

FGL landscaping LawnSite Member

also you can put echo heads on stihl machines and vise versa it just takes an adapter, stih, echo, shindaiwa (shindy for short) all have power attachment systems. also echo bought out shindaiwa so they are basically the same company now. i hope my info may help