Which Brush Cutter to buy for a Stihl FS 110R Trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by greenred, Nov 7, 2008.

1. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

Im looking at getting a metal brush blade for my FS 110R. I need to cut dense vines, high weeds, and some brush. Im looking at Stihls website and can not decide which type of cutting blade to get for what I need.

I was looking at both the Steel Brush Knife, and the Scratcher Tooth Circular Saw Blade.

I have no experience using a weed eater in this manner, so I am having trouble making my mind up which to go with.

http://www.stihlusa.com/trimmers/blades.html

I would appreciate it if those with experience could give me some advice.

2. greenred

from IL

Can anyone help me with this question?

3. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

For what you say you are planning on cutting, I'd say the brush knife will do the best job.

4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I use the brush knife for anything up to about 1" dia. If you got a lot of stuff over 1", up to 3", get a Beaver Blade. A Beaver Blade is a metal disk with a piece of chain saw chain fastened to it.

5. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I got a 110 and I use the knife for thick weedy areas, but the blade thing works the best for thicker woodier trees and brush. I want to try that scratcher blade the one with 16 teeth on it. even though your not supposed to use that on the 110.

6. greenred

from IL

Are you saying your not supposed to use it on the FS110 because of this note on their website

or is there more reasons then that?

7. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

You can run the lighter brush blade on it, the one with 8 teeth, works great. But I think thats the limit, there is the scratcher blade thats meant for the big clearing saws it has 16 teeth. I was told not to use it for my machine, just not enough power. But I would like to try it anyways, the worst thing that could happen is worn clutch.

8. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

3-tooth brush knives are most commonly used. Tend to be the most productive and mulch the weeds down like a mower. Bad side is they're not forgiving when you hit the ground.

The other group are 4, 8 or more toothed blades or discs where the weeds fall on the disc and don't get hacked apart. Good only if you want to rake it up or for farmers.

Heck they're so cheap just buy a piece of each and try them out.

9. grntmbfisher

grntmbfisher LawnSite Member
    from NH

Ive always used the brush blades but I decided to pick up one of the chisel tooth circular saw blades this summer and feel it leaves a better cut. I always had some patchs of weeds that the brush blades would leave behind but the other blade took care of that and you could take down bigger trees with it.

10. greenred

from IL

How do you install say the 3 blade knife when you already have a trimmer head on?