Which brushcutter to buy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bafflebrain, Mar 15, 2004.

1. bafflebrain

bafflebrain LawnSite Member

I am looking at either the ECHO SRM400U or the Shindaiwa C350 for brushcutter. Hope that some of you have used either one and can comment on the ergonomics and weight.

I also looked at the Shindaiwa C270 and Stihl FS250. I am not sur eif these are up to task. I need to clear alrge areas of woody brushes 1" to 2" thick.

Thanks in advance. JHN

2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

I use my shindaiwa T270 for heavy stuff like you describe, just throw a blade on it, and ziiinnnnggg! ( Zing is the sound of the saw blade eating through the woods as it takes down trees)

Unless you do this very often, and want a dedicated brush cutter. If not, you could use the T270, and have a great trimmer as well.

3. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

I'll let you now how the C270 works out in a few days. I've never had any prob. cutting major brush (Tornado blade cuts up to 6" diameter) with my T-260. Go through atleast 10 blades a year.
    (6 or 12 chrome-moly teeth, easy to resharpen, and cuts QUICK [brand new out of the pack] Must be some heavy duty clutches. Never had a problem. (I do replace the grease in the gear head, alot more frequently than they recommend)

Forgot to paste a URL of the Shind. Tornado blade.
    ~Nest, you seen this backpack brush cutter? (not available in the US)
    http://www.shindaiwa.com/products/brushcutters/

4. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Wow, never seen anything like that. lol I can't see the benefits of it over a regular bruch cutter, be a pain to just set down real quick and grab back up.

5. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

True. Man, can you imagine holding a 33.6cc/1.8hp/20.5lbs MONSTER in your hands? LOL ! Bet it does cut good, though (like ALL Shindaiwas)

6. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

I would go with the echo, I have a blade for my srm 260S and it works nice.

7. bafflebrain

bafflebrain LawnSite Member

Thanks for the comments.

It seems like a lot of people like the T270 but I thought the U handle and harness would be better for walking around all day. Looks like smaller and lighter C270 or SRM-260U would be more appropriate choices.

8. GreenMachine102

GreenMachine102 LawnSite Member

If you want a machine that will tackle most anything you put at it, get a STIHL FS85, you WILL NOT BE DISSAPOINTED Cost= 300.00!

Very nice machine! Looks good too!:cool:

9. swim

swim LawnSite Senior Member

I do 10 or 20 brush cleanups a year. I use a t-270 for the small brush cutting up to about 2in. in diameter. It works very well. It will cut stuff up to 4in with the brush cutter blade. Any larger and it is quicker to use a small chainsaw. It works great for me but if you want a dedicated brush cutter maybe go with a C series. I like the t-270 because I can also use it for trimming.