Which business license should my partner and I go with? Advantages? Disadvantages?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by travt, Mar 15, 2007.

1. travt

travt LawnSite Member
    from 20685

Hello,
    I was wondering which business license my partner and I should look into getting. I know that there are a bunch of options but I was curious which one you thought was more benificial. Thanks for your time and have a great season of making money!!

2. lurch

lurch LawnSite Member

i'm gonna beat everyone to it and say you should'nt have a partner....i don't know why everyone says that cause I've never had a partner but everyone on here seems to think that partners are crap

3. toac

toac LawnSite Senior Member

you would probably be best off talking to an accountant

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

What kind of "license" are you referring to?

5. toac

toac LawnSite Senior Member

good point - i was assuming LLC, Inc, etc.

6. travt

travt LawnSite Member
    from 20685

In Maryland we need to hold a business license to run a Landscaping business. It could be a LLP (Limited Liability Partnership, Incorporated, UnIncorporated etc.)

7. Mow2nd-2

Mow2nd-2 LawnSite Member

i agree with Toac, talk to your/an accountant or business consultant.
    If it were me i would drop the partner, they usually prove to be a major headache because eventually yall will clash with each other because:
    1. money is the root of all evil(besides women, LOL)
    2. one of you will feel your doing more work than the other
    3. one of you might be covering more of the bills; mower,truck,inssurance,etc
    4. working together all the time could drive a wedge in your friendship and yall not get along

If you wanna have a partner and you think/know it will work, have fun make some money and good luck.

8. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I agree about the partnership thing. Bad idea. I've been there and seen it happen to numerous people I know. It usually doesn't work, especially if you're friends with the person.

As for which business entity you want to be, you should talk to an accountant to find out the pros/cons of each, and make your decision from there.

9. travt

travt LawnSite Member
    from 20685

Thanks for all of your info!! You may see me asking some more questions in the future. I appreciate your time!!

10. Ravenwood Landscaping

Ravenwood Landscaping LawnSite Member

I have a partner and we are going with an LLC. Either that or an LLP should work for you. You can add or drop partners with little interuption or having to change the license around. This was from the suggestion of a consultant, a business professor, and business owner. I don't know too much about the other types to give you any advice on those.

I'm in maryland too and we are currently in the process of making the business official with taxes and licenses. In fact most of my day tomorrow will be spent making all of the calls to get it all set up.

I really would like to hear the good stories about partners. Somewhere in this business two people have gotten along and have run a profitable business. I really would like to hear what was used to keep things going.