Which Bypass shears and pruning saw

Discussion in 'Tree Service Equipment' started by chefcam864, Apr 22, 2014.

1. chefcam864

chefcam864 LawnSite Member

I use bypass shears a lot, and finally decided to upgrade from my old Corona BP3160's. I looked at Felco, ARS, & Bahco. My main problem with the Corona was their ergonomics, or lack there of. My wrists would be killing me at the end of a day of pruning. Anyways, I ended up going with the Bahco PX-M2, and am very pleased. They have very good ergonimcs, comfortable handles, and cut quite well. While I was at it , I figured I'd go ahead and replace my pruning saw, which was about toast. I ended going with a Silky 330mm Zubat. I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but it ought come in handy very soon.
    Anyways, I was wondering what other's preferences are, and why. These are two very important tools, that I'd really never given much thought to, but after switching to the Bahco shears, I wish I had.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. M&L

M&L LawnSite Member

Sub'd.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. dieselfuel

dieselfuel LawnSite Member

I used to use felcos, but now everything in my toolbox is Stihl.

4. chefcam864

Haha! Man I hear that. It just seems like I'm always going for my shears. I just keep them in holster on my belt while I'm mowing because I always end seeing things here and there that need fixing. I may just have an OCD problem...
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Twinlakes

Twinlakes LawnSite Member

Felco all the way.

I've had the same pair of 13's for going on 16yrs. now. Just got a 621 trim saw the other day. Always within hand reach.

6. Saws and hand saws hands down Silky. I have some Corona saws I scored at TJMAXX for like $8 each that are good...but thry aren't Silky. I've owned Felcos and honestly I think the Corona equivalent is just as good.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

I used to buy Corona, but they seemed to have legs and would run away. So now I use Harbor Freight, they still run away but Im not so attached to them.

I do have a high reach Corona pole saw/pruner, that comes in handy. Any thing I can reach with the Sthil Kombi saw and extension gets done with gas power.

8. chefcam864

Man, get rid of those harbor freight shears! I had a set of those, and they don't do the plants or your hands any favors. You can get the Bahco's on Amazon for about $42 with shipping. It's one of those things you don't think about, but since I made the switch I can feel a world of difference in my wrists and hands.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. YellowDogSVC

YellowDogSVC LawnSite Gold Member
    from TX

I second Silky. I use the hayuchi pole saw, and the Zubat hand saw. Razor sharp and will saw through a 6" piece of oak effortlessly.

Corona used to make a good hand saw. Not sure how they are lately but their bypass shears, the 3" capacity version are built heavy duty with metal handles and I found a pair for $50 which was half the price of my other Corona with wood handles.