1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Which chain saw???

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by BlazerRidge, May 30, 2011.

1. BlazerRidge

BlazerRidge LawnSite Member

I'm looking at buying another chainsaw and I don't know enough about them as I would like to so I'm looking for whatever input you guys can give me. I already have a 14in Stihl but I need another one with a bigger bar due to the amount of tree work and cleanup I have been doing this year. I would like to have a 18-20'' bar and I don't want a piece of junk but I don't want to drop a load of cash either. I'm looking in the $300-400 range. I know husqvarna and stihl are good units but I don't know much else. :hammerhead:
  2. dwmason

dwmason LawnSite Member

I have a Echo CS370 that I really like. Have cut a lot of wood with this saw and still runs like new. Retail at a dealer should be from $269-299
    Comes with a 16" bar
  3. jwsland

jwsland LawnSite Member

I have a 16" echo cs-330t climber saw, absolutley hate it. Unreliable, cheap construction, weak parts, lacks power. I also have a Husquavarna 372xp 24inch bar. I got it for an all around saw I can use for the random stuff us landscapers get calls for. Occasional tree jobs, clearings, debris and limb cleanups. It thought it was very reasonably price for how its performed over the years. Plenty of power and always reliable. It'll really throw some shavings with good sharpening!
  4. grassman88

grassman88 LawnSite Member
    from mass

i have a 16" husky and hate it im going to sell it only used a couple time its so under powered its not funny id go with stihl, it might just be a dud but i wont sell it to anyone using it to make money ill sell it to a homeowner in a yard sale or something lol ill use my pulan wallmart saw befor my husky
  5. duranlandscaping

duranlandscaping LawnSite Member

I have a Stihl MS290 Farm Boss. Great saw. I have an 18" bar on mine and it cuts great. When I got it I was going to get a MS 440 but my brother talked me into this one and I'm glad he did. Saved 200-300 and haven't looked back.
  6. BlazerRidge

Thanks for all the input guys. I was looking at the husqvarna 455 rancher with either an 18 or 20 in bar. Anyone have any input on this saw?
  7. BlazerRidge

Also I've found a stihl 034 av with a 20in bar for sale used. Is this a good saw or would I be better off buying new?
  8. dgw

dgw LawnSite Bronze Member
    from OH

i have the same saw, its great
  9. 360 Lawn Service

360 Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I use the Husqvarna 450. Its a little lighter than the 455. This works great for an all around saw. I can drop trees and its still small enough to trim with. I paid around $315.00 with dealer discount.
  10. jwsland

jwsland LawnSite Member

Not sure on other brands but for the husqvarnas if they are xp's they are the profesional line. They cost more but have upgrades over non xp's.