Which choice is the best?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LawnBoy89, Mar 16, 2004.

1. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

Hey everyone! I'm new here, and new to lawnmowing. I've been doing it since I was 9 years old and I am now 15. I have decided that I would like to open a landscaping business but I have to start out with a lawnmower. I have a Craftsmen ride on lawnmower but that will most definently not do the job. And this is what leads me to my question.

I've been looking for an eXmark 48" walk behind, until I saw the new zero turn ride on lawnmower from Craftsmen. Compared to a commercial type this lawnmower is really cheap. A 50" ride on would be really nice. So I'm asking, do you think it would be reasonable to spend $4000 on this lawnmower. I'm sorry I cannot provide you with the full name of the mower. If you guys don't think this is a good idea then please tell me and I will follow through with going with the eXmark walk behind. Thanks for the help guys.

2. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

in my opinion, buying non-commercial equipment is a complete waste of money, wether it be mowers, or trimmers, or blowers.

if you are serious about the business, get the walk behind, and you can't go wrong with exmark, dixie chopper, hustler, grasshopper. one day in the future of your growing business, you will probably need both a zero turn and a walk behind. if you can only get one, get a commercial w/b, because of it's versatility.

but don't just take our word for it, and then do it. there is alot of b.s. ing going on around here. only use information from this website as part of your research.

talk to dealers of any equipment you may be interested in. here too be careful, despite the fact that some of the people around here are bosom buddies with their local dealers, remember that a dealer makes money buy selling you something. his sole purpose in life is to seperate you from your money.

visit manufacturers websites.

talk to anyone you know who may be in the business. be careful here too. one of your friends may use only john deerre equipment. if this is the case, he is going to tell you that they are the best there is, despite the fact that he has never set foot on a hustler.

analyze your finacial situation and what your real goals are for the next 5 years. for example, do you think you might go away to college one day? because if so, there is no point in breaking your butt, bank, and spirit growing a business that you're going to abandon in 3 years.

there are other factors you should consider...hmmm...what are they?

3. LawnBoy89

Thanks for the help man. I'm probably not going to make my career in this business but I have always like mowing lawns and I figure that while I'm off in the summer I could make some cash to pay for my expenses (dirtbikes). Anyways, I was wondering what you thought a decent walk behind lawn mower would cost.

4. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

You can get a good used one for almost the same price as the Craftsman

5. charlies

from earth

for 4 thousand? yea, you should be able to get a very very good used one. one almost like new.

6. LawnBoy89

Yea, but if someone uses there lawn mower every day would it still be in good condition?

7. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

You got to cut a lot of grass with that $4000 mower to have money to pay for your dirtbikes. I see a 21" push mower in your future unless Mommy is going to trailer you around with your 48" Scag, trimmer and blower.

8. charlies

from earth

prices vary greatly according to the condition and brand name.

for example, i sold a gear driven 48" john deere last week for $400. it was old, definitely more than 2000 hours. but it ran fine. we have a maintenance program and it was adhered to through the life of the mower while we had it.

if i were looking for a w/b i would definitely get one with hydro's. again though, it depends on how serious you are about the biz.:)

9. LawnBoy89

Well the one that I have now works decently, but it's getting old. My parents will probably help me out with paying for it, if not buy the whole thing. I already have one job and I know of 4 that I can easily get. I saw an eXmark in the news for $4800, 200 hours. It was a turf tracer. Does this look like a good deal? Also, what did you mean by hydro's?

10. Cleatus

Cleatus LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I think $4800 is way too much.

There are two ways that the wheels are driven. Gear (or belt) driven or hydro driven.

It sounds like you might want to reconsider spending 4800$ on a mower right now. With your plans, I might not even go as high as $2000.