Which classes?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by toroboy, Feb 5, 2004.

1. toroboy

toroboy LawnSite Member

Hey guys I'm going to community college this summer and was wondering what classes to sign up for concerning landscaping and such. I'm wondering if I should take more turfgrass related courses or more landscaping design and such. I never designed anything and I really dont have a creative side, would that even matter? Any feedback would be great. Thanks guys

2. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

The answer to that is yes. Huh?....take all the classes that you can concerning your industry. Learn how grass and plants grow, how they fit in to the landscape, learn the biology of plants, take a soils class. I would also suggest taking a business management, finance, and marketing class. Learn and apply those lessons to your business.

3. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Take all the classes you can. Plus some business classes too. You never can get enough education.

4. PLI1

PLI1 LawnSite Senior Member

What helped me the most was plant i.d. and landscape design. I already had a lot of on the job training as far as growing and maintaining turf. But if I were you I would take them all over the period of a couple years as well as business management and finance. The more you know, the better you will fare against the competition.

5. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

One thing that I have realized over the last few years since getting out of Purdue is that if you have some practical experience BEFORE you start a degree program, you will probably appreciate the classes more.

I know during my plant ID classes the weeks when we had to learn all the viburnums and junipers were terrible, now I appreciate those weeks more but wish I'd tried harder....

Some here may disagree, but that's my opinion. In this industry, experience counts, but an education also does too. You will have a lot better understanding of why you are learning what you are if you have some practical experience to back it up...

Dan