Which Commercial mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RPH2929, Mar 13, 2007.

1. RPH2929

RPH2929 LawnSite Member

Hello. I am currently looking at the Exmark gear Metro 36", Scag gear SW 36" and Snapper Hydro 32" / Gear 36" and Quick 36" SD. All have the KIA engines. The snapper 32" has the newer grip style standard.
    Overall for quality of cut and reliability, which mower would you prefer? Rainy weather and slippage of the belts is not an issue. Just striping and reliability.
    Best Regards

2. cward

cward LawnSite Member

For looks and quality of cut, I would choose the Exmark. However, you are looking at three "gear" drives and one hydro. First narrow it down, which one do you want? Hydro or gear driven? I would choose the hydro just because it is a hydro. I've had both and I will not own anything that's not a hydro. Just an opinion. Another thing to consider, which dealer is the best in your area? Customer Service should always be an important deciding factor.

3. RPH2929

RPH2929 LawnSite Member

There is support for all but the Quick. Any experience with the Snapper Pro Hydro's?
    Thanks for your input.

4. cward

cward LawnSite Member

I do not have any experience with the Snappers at all. They are obviously good machines, I see plenty on the back of trailers. Honestly, take care of your equipment and any of the commercial lines will work. I have two Gravely walk behinds and like them. However, when it is time for replacement they will both be Exmarks. Why? My dealer is awesome and I think Gravely is setting on their butts when it comes to updating their machines. Plus, the two orange mowers look weird sitting beside my Navigator.

5. RPH2929

RPH2929 LawnSite Member

Snapper, Scag and Exmark are mainly what we have locally. All seem to have good service facilities. I hear more people speaking highly of Exmarks cut and striping. I am thinking of the Snapper because it has the new grip design and its Hydro....but only 32".