1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Which cordless impact?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nriddle77, Sep 10, 2008.

1. nriddle77

nriddle77 LawnSite Senior Member

I am planning on buying a cordless impact wrench sometime soon. I will be using it to change blades, among other things. Which one should I get? Any particular brand or features that I should look for?

2. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I would go with something like an AC Delco but not sure really, all of my tools like that are air powered. Almost every air tool I own is Campbell Hausfield.

3. howierd3866

howierd3866 LawnSite Senior Member

just use a friend's cordless the other day to chance blades it was a snapon bad to the bone better than my air one...but about $500.00 will be getting one soon

4. AmsoilPower

AmsoilPower LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a 3/8 drive Snap-on a few months ago. Came w/ case, charger and 2 batteries for $300+. Has a ridiculous amount of ft lbs for a 3/8 drive. I have not used my air guns since. Thing has plenty of nuts for this equipment. I do alot of side service work.....comes in extra handy not dragging a air hose around.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Snap-On is the top of the line, but one thing is for sure...there are so many nice ones out there, now. Back when I got mine, there weren't a whole lot available out there. There was the Snap-On, and the Makita. Mine is the Makita and is only a 14.4 V, but works well for this application. Since then, there are several other good brands ou there, such as the Milwaukee and Dewalt. These are much cheaper now than what they were before, as well. If I bought another one, I would get a bigger one, though. I've seen off-brand ones that were around 18 to 19 volts, break loose and take off large lugnuts off of trucks. Mine won't break lugnuts loose. For blade tightness though, these only need to be torqued to about 80 ft. lbs..

6. mybowtie

mybowtie LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

I have a Hitachi 18 volt 1/2 drive. Its smaller then other brands. Fits under the deck easer, dont need to lift it so high.

7. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

This is an excellent impact wrench......http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=6347

8. mississippiturf

mississippiturf LawnSite Senior Member

An earlier post on this subject was a guy who purchased a Harbor Freight 79 dollar 19 volt impact and has been using it for four or five years!! I use air impact.

9. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

I got a nice off brand from Northern tool for $120 has 2 batteries and a carry case and charger. Don't believe how much easier to change blades or wheels. No more dragging the air hose out .

10. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I also have the 14.4 volt 3/8 Makita. We love it, use it mostly for changing blades, but has come in handy for many other repairs, too. I got it with a flashlight/drill combo and tool bag for about $350 IIRC Can't believe I did without it for all those years!