Which deal for the back of my flyer?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by clydesdale, Mar 14, 2006.

1. clydesdale

clydesdale LawnSite Senior Member

Which deal is the better idea. Obviously, I know which one is better for the customer. The tightwad marketing post by kruger gave me a few ideas. I would have had the back blank and no closing. THis way i put my closer on the back of my flyer. What do you think?

Attached Files:

I personally like the first one a little better.
  3. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

The 1st one.
  4. nephilim0167

nephilim0167 LawnSite Member

I would require a contract (6 months, or however long you mow for) and give them the first cut free. Most folks dont worry about what's 5 weeks away from them. I personally don't see this bringing in all that much business. Just my .02
  5. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't like it.
  6. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't like it at all. Dosen't look professional I think. And another thing is 50% is way to much off.
  7. clydesdale

For those that dont like it, give me some ideas. All I am looking to do, is put something on the back of my flyer and have a closer or some reason for them to call me sooner rather than later.
  8. Freddy_Kruger

I will suggest you buy a book called The Non-Designers Design book and steal Ideas out of there.

On the other hand if you can look at that flyer and not see how awful it is you might want to get a printer shop to set it up. Might cost you a little bit of cash but it might create a lot of extra calls which = money. I mean one customer would pay for set up costs I'm sure.

I design my own flyers to, I do it because I love doing it but it takes me a long time. I like half page flyers printed on both sides, (twice as many flyers same price) and I too use tightwad marketing advice. My headline for my door hangers (for window cleaning) were Impove your view...With Nice Clean Windows. I had clear letter on a black stripe for contrast. Have a single illustration and steal it form the web (that's what I do).

I use Illustrator CS2 now, I would never use Word to design a flyer.
  9. Freddy_Kruger

Ooops sorry, I should have read what you wrote a little better before I went on a rant.

Well this is what Tightwad marketing says about closing. I like the one I bolded, cut it in half put a picture maybe grass along the bottom or something (I'm thinking of that) a lawnmower guy you have to be a little creative ofcourse I understand some people think that anything is better than nothing but I wouldn't design a flyer in 10 minutes, takes me at least two weeks (because I'm not real good at it).

Advertising flyer mistake #4: Closing passively

This is the typical close to a flyer: "for more information, call 000-0000." That's passive. Instead, make an offer to motivate action and close the deal! Here are five basic, proven closers:

* Buy before (DATE), and receive $10 off. This closer is effective at getting immediate action, and works especially well for businesses offering products and services that are essentially one-time purchases. On the other hand, it cuts into your profit margin. And, if your business depends on repeat customers, this closer may bring you price-shoppers who won't buy from you again without further discounting.
    * Come in before (DATE), and get a coupon good for 10% off your next purchase! This closer only rewards a customer when they return, which helps you build a regular clientele. You can even delay the reward, but the longer it's put off the bigger it must be. For example, a housecleaning service might offer as an incentive the fifth cleaning free (essentially a 20% discount off five cleanings). Note, too, that the word "FREE" is a powerful attractor.
    * Act before (DATE), and get (VALUE-ADDED PRODUCT/SERVICE), FREE with your purchase! This closer doesn't diminish the value of your basic product or service, but it still offers an incentive for fast action. It also works that word "free" into your flyer. If your business offers products or services that are regularly purchased (food, household items, hair cutting, lawn mowing, etc.), this offer exposes new customers to an "extra" that may turn into a regular purchase, leading to increased incremental sales.
    * Call me for an in-home consultation before (DATE), and I'll bring the pizza, FREE! This closer offers a bonus unrelated to your product or service as an incentive. Depending on your business, that can be helpful. For example, I may not want to hear about life insurance or new cleaning products, but if you bring dinner I may be willing to listen to your spiel.
    * Book before (DATE) to take advantage of our slow-season schedule and prices! This closer flips the offer around, and essentially attaches a negative consequence to any delay or hesitation. Remember the tip about people being more averse to pain than attracted to reward? This is how to put it into action. Similar closers can include limits on availability or quantity ("Offer limited to the first 25 customers, so call now!"). Note: the more-believable the reason for the limit, the more powerful this closer becomes.
  10. clydesdale

Freddy, please post me an example of one of your flyers. I need to see what you are talking about. I understand word is probably not the best for pics, but is it really bad just for text? Show me what you are talking about. Thanks