which diesel mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cmills, May 18, 2008.

1. cmills

cmills LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

hey everybody, new member here. I'm looking at buying a new mower that will be a diesel, I think I have narrowed it down to either a Scag turf tiger with the 28hp cat, Ferris 4500Z, or a 997 Deere I have only ran the Deere and the Ferris for a few minutes at dealers and I have never ran the Scag. I have a Exmark now and am wanting something different. So if anybody has any experience with any of these I would like to hear some opinions on them, and any known pros and cons of each.

thanks for the info,
    Cory

2. TandM

TandM LawnSite Senior Member
    from south

well you can't go wrong with scag. I have not really heard of anything bad about scag mowers. The ferris's supposevly ride well with the suspension and the 7 iron is the only deere has going for them. Scag has the velocity deck which works extremely well and has great engine choices but in the end it all comes down to dealer support.

3. heather lawn sp

heather lawn sp LawnSite Senior Member

have 2 2005 997 60" & 72" 1600 hours & 1200 hours

These are big heavy mowers. We run them sticks out and can cut and trim up to 12 acres a day with them. They will hang together but do need good dealer support for parts and large service. Under dry dusty conditions they need the rad's blown or washed out a couple of times per day. If you are in heavy wet conditions there is not much that will stop them, If you get them stuck they are seriously stuck. You will need something bigger than them to pull them out. Our's travel will smaller 25 horse gas Deere's that will head into the iffy areas with the 9's ready to pull them out if needed. They do their best work in large open terrain. Turning scuff can be large and deep if not properly done. what size and type of work are they to be used on?

We started out with a 2001 Sabre Tooth Tiger, gas engine, but found it went through spindles and dealer support was thin in this area

4. CAT MAN

CAT MAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

get the JD 997 I will be testing one towards the end of the week will let yea know how it works

5. cmills

cmills LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

thanks guys, talked to a dealer today that sell both and he said that he thinks they are both good machines but he thought the Scag would hold up better, but that could be because they will make more off of it also.

any more comments, how about the Ferris

6. cmills

cmills LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I went and looked at a Ferris 4500Z and noticed there is ALOT of moving parts on it and I wasn't real crazy about the way the belt runs under the machine and how the pulleys are positioned underneath. I think I might have narrowed it down to either the Deere 997 or Scag Turf Tiger.

7. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

Check out the Bad Boy 28hp Cat Diesel $11295, 4 wheel easy ride system, michigan seat, 15mph, 1/4 in" deck unbelievable machine for the price!

8. Willofalltrades

Willofalltrades LawnSite Bronze Member

I run Turf Tigers at work... Get the Scag!

9. Song Bird

Song Bird LawnSite Member

We have the JD Z997 diesel. We running at our school yard job. First time out I ran it for 5.7 hours. I love it! It is a tough machine.
    Though as said when they get stuck they get stuck. I got stuck in two wet spots this past weekend. Not fun. But it will mow though many wet areas as long as you keep moving and there is not mud to get stuck in.
    This ground has flat area's, steep slop areas, very bumpy areas, practice fields, and more. We have been able to run this mower almost every where on the grounds except where it will not fit because the space is to small.
    It is a work horse of a machine and gets great hours to diesel use.
    So far we have only had problems with the back anti scalp wheels on the deck wearing out. We are going to set them in a higher hole and see if this helps. We think it is happening on the baseball field where we have to mow at an 1 1/2" high. That is how short the coach wants it during baseball season. Once season is over we can leave the field at 3".
    Other than that we love the Z997 diesel. :clapping: But we are a JD family, we bleed "green".

10. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

While the Badboy is the Spec sheet king He needs good dealer service, thats the only downfall with a Badboy. I would purchase a BB Diesel myself, if their was a dealer here to service them: stat right now, not let me make a phone call, or I'm on my way from another state?? The Walker, Scag, JD dealers got/gets me in & out when I need service.