Which direction do you edge with a weedeater?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Damian, May 18, 2006.

1. Damian

Damian LawnSite Member

I see people walking forward and edging with the weedeater out in front of them, all the time, but for the life of me, I can't get comfortable doing so.

Anyone else walk backward when doing edging along sidewalks/curbs/driveways?

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Walking backward seems to keep the line straight to me.

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Usually I trim kinda sideways, walking forward but at an angle somewhere between a straight walk and a crab's gait. I can walk straight forward but I only do that on occasion like when I am in a hurry, I find it misses a lot and the angle isn't the same.

But if I'm just goofing off, I can weedeat right or left-handed, with both hands or single handed, trimmer right side up or upside down, throw it from one hand to the next in the air and play with it like that and the other day I figured out how to do it with the trimmer passing behind me lol ! Worst thing is you have to watch that string, it really hurts and for some reason the stihl balances the best, I can't get too fancy with the echo.

4. ofishil

ofishil LawnSite Member
    from TX

i edge from right to left mostly walking backwards. The reason i do it like that i think is because if i put the weedeater first it throws stuff at me more.

5. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

In the direction that usually will leave my teeth intact, my lips not busted, and the occasional piece of gravel isn't lodged up my nose.:)

6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

With a counter-clockwise rotating trimmer, moving right to left allows you to throw the debris away from the area being trimmed....thus less grass in beds. I think technically you are suppose to hold the trimmer with you right hand and use your left hand on the trigger. This way allows you to walk forward, but I was trying it today (again) and it's very awkward.

If there is a commercial trimmer that rotates clockwise, I would probably buy it.

7. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

walk in the direction of the truck and get the stickedger! pros dont edge with weedeaters!

8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I always move left to right with my cc trimmer and I can throw debris anywhere I want, it is a matter of cutting with the side of the string... I don't trim with the front of the line, but with the sides (hence why I trim going kinda sideways). If the right side of the trimmer is angled down, it throws debris away from me... If the left side of the head is facing down, the stuff comes to me.
    So, I use the handle to rotate the shaft so that either side of the head is facing down, and I trim like that which allows me to control the direction of the debris.

The opposite would be true of a clockwise trimmer.

btw, once you figure out the string technique you can use the trimmer as a blower to clear debris from sidewalks in a pinch, I've done that a few times when the blower wouldn't start (one day I forgot the blower) but also if the debris is real light, it's kind of like riding over it with the mower, the string creates wind but again you have to angle it down one side or the other to get the direction going.

9. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

1 out of 100 pro's around here wackers not edgers

10. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

we go either way as long as the debri is shooting away from the windows and glass doors of our houses