1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Which Dixie

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by luckylawnboy, Mar 17, 2003.

1. luckylawnboy

luckylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

I am buying a new Dixie next week. Im looking at a 60" cut. My options are a demo 2002 XF 2600-60 efi for $7999 , a 2003 XT2800-60 efi for $8500, or a XT 3000-60 for $8700. I have two flatlanders now and love them. Help me make a decision. Do i need a 30hp and will it use lots more fuel than than the 28 efi. Any one with experience with the new XT modles what is the advantage over the 2002 Flatlander.

Thanks Josh.
  2. I would stick with the Kohler EFI's, the Generac have not gotten a good start for a track record, and dealer support/parts are very limited.

Dealer here has the Generac on the floor, but has 0 parts in stock, not even the oil filter.

LANDGUARD LawnSite Member

I agree with LGF, my dealer will not even sell the 30 hp to the the business's that he works with all the time. I have a 2003 XT 28 and it is very good on gas, were I was told the 30 hp will drink it up. $8500 is also a good price.
  4. luckylawnboy

Thanks Alot for the advice. I think I will stick with the Kohler. Now do I get the 2002 Flatlander, or the 2003 XT 2800-60. Let me know if you have any suggestions.
  5. Jerry L

Jerry L LawnSite Member

Generac parts are readily available to all Dixie dealers. In fact, Dixie Chopper is a parts central warehouse. All Dixie dealers who see the Generac Guardian powered choppers are required to become a Generac service dealer, once they've signed they can get parts directly from Generac. It's to bad that the dealers want to sell equipment, but not stock parts. I think that a good dealer will make sure parts are on hand for his customers.

Regarding fuel consumption. Engines will usually burn similar amounts of fuel given equal HP requirement, there is no magic engines that create more power on less gasoline. It is true that there are slight gains in economy to be made through engine control, the reality is that gasoline has a specific BTU content, so fuel consumption is directly related to HP requirements. The Guardian engine will typically consume no more fuel than smaller HP engines if operated at the same capacity, but because the engine has the ability to develop more HP you can do more work in the same amount of time. Yes, you will comsume more fuel, but you will also be more productive.

6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

lucky, I do not know which dealer you are looking at but Reynolds Farm Equipment (JD ag dealer) in Fishers sells them at a good price last I checked and also there is a guy in Avon that stacks them deep and sells 'em deep, check him out too.
  7. luckylawnboy

Well thanks for all the inputs. But it is possible for engines to make more hp and use less fuel. It is called Efficiency. Technology has allowed us to do so. I put 100hp injectors plus a box on my cummins and increase power and started avg, 3+ better mpg. That is just opinion.
  8. Jerry L

Jerry L LawnSite Member

I agree with your comments regarding HP increases through efficiency. My comments were directed to the typical 650cc to 750 cc air-cooled power equipment engine. I'm not sure what type of HP% increase you see in your diesel, but it seems substantial. Typically, "substantial" increases require increased engine cooling capacity. Your diesel being liquid cooled probably has tremendous cooling capacity by design (diesel trucks are typically designed with trail towing in mind). In your typical air-cooled v-twin a 20% HP increase would only be 3 to 5 HP. Since most engines have fixed cooling capacity it is unlikely that more "substantial" increases could be had without major changes to the cooling system.

Thanks for your comments, and have a great season

9. Jman

Jman LawnSite Member

Carbureted engines versus electronic fuel injected engines do have a difference in fuel economy. Fuel injection can change the fuel mixture according to load, temperature and other variables where a carburetor can not make changes. The Kohler engines in question look to be fuel injected versions. There could be a substantial difference in the amount of fuel used by the two.