Which Echo Trimmer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mykayel, Jun 13, 2011.

1. mykayel

mykayel LawnSite Member

I had 2 Echo SRM 2601's, one of them the shaft broke on me because of the extreme trimmer rack (and no engine support at the time), and my other is pretty much crapping out on me as we speak (getting harder and harder to start). So I figured it time for a new one. I was thinking the SRM-230 or the SRM-265S. I don't ever use a brush cutter blade so I don't really need the extra power or the solid shaft for that reason. But I heard there less vibrations with the solid shaft, so that's the only reason I'm leaning towards that one. But its an extra $60. Any opinions?

2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

The SRM-230 is bullet proof. Break it in on regular 50:1 oil and after a couple tanks switch to amsoil saber at 80:1 and the thing will run forever and never need the exhaust port or muffler cleaned out (carbon).

3. onlythebest

onlythebest LawnSite Senior Member

neither, go for a stilhl i used to love my echo but it lost id say about half its power in a year. and yes i use all the proper additives and oils and gas... i then bought a stihl fs100rx which was the same price as a new echo when i went to my dealer (both on sale for 399 for the echo srm 265t and the stihl fs100rx). i realize its a new trimmer but as far as i can remember the echo never had the power the stihl does. also, the stihl is MUCH easier to start than the echo EVER was.

4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Lost power after a year? Ever check the exhaust port or muffler for carbon? I find that hard to believe that it lost power for no reason. Both of my SRM-230 trimmers are 6 and 7 years old and both start easy and run like new and neither one has had an air filter for the last 4 years.

Video from last year.

[​IMG]

5. onlythebest

onlythebest LawnSite Senior Member

well actually i was not aware that the exhaust port needed regular cleaning on the echo, i knew that the stihls had more of a problem and took the screen off the new stihl after just a week and found that it was completely filled with carbon. thanks for the tip on the echo im going to go check it out right now and see if i can do any good for it. if this will solve the problem that would be great i usually leave it at home and take the km130 with me but that thing so damn heavy. thanks again ProStreetCamaro

6. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

Well, the 230 is on the small side!!!! If you have 260, maybe should go with 265. From following the track record for over 3 years, in general, Echo seems to come out with new products right the first day, none of the "let the customers do the field test".

If I were you, I would consider Husqvarna 223 for $249. Lighter than 230 but bigger engine. 223 and 326 have very good track records, do a search here and see it yourself..........But that's besides the point.

7. mykayel

mykayel LawnSite Member

I thought about a different brand, but Stihls are heavy and I just don't really like the plastic they use in their handles, and when I was at the dealer, I really didn't like their bump head. I hadn't really thought much about the Husqvarna. But I loved my echo, it lasted me 13 years, (and before recently) was so easy to start. So I thought I'd stay with a proven brand. I might just go with the SRM 230 if that's what everyone is suggesting.

You say that the Husqvarna 223 has a bigger engine than the Echo SRM 230, but does it have more power? Also, how's the bump head on them? That's another thing I really like about the Echo, they have a really good design on their bump head.

8. Tofutti

Tofutti LawnSite Member

From what I've seen/used, the Stihl bump heads are much easier to reload than the Echos but they are just a little harder to advance line from while using (you have to hit just the very center button on the ground) while the Echos can be advanced by hitting just about every angle. This may or may not be a good thing based on the areas you're trimming... IE: doing culverts/ditches/rocky areas.... you may accidentally let out more line than you wanted to with an echo hitting the ground/obstacle. However, I will agree the Stihls are heavier than the echos and if you're not ever going to use it as a brush cutter, than the Echos have plenty enough power or every day trimming. I've never used the Husky's so I can't comment there.

I know we use an old SRM-2100 for just about everything primarily and have another old SRM-2300 for the second person on our trucks and have never had power/starting issues. IMHO, the lightest machine you can find for a reasonable price is the way to go for just normal trimming. Look into the SRM-210... can get them around here for about $200.00 and it's about a 8LB machine... Very comfortable and will do any regular trimming with some small .065 line spooled up. ( Stihl line is cheap and available up here so we run that small green stuff).

9. J&RLawn

J&RLawn LawnSite Member

I recommend the 265t over the 230 any day it's only about a pound heavier and has twice the torque. As far as your shaft breaking all echo's have a lifetime warranty on there shafts. We run the 230 for awhile then switched to the 265t and fell in love with it, there awesome!
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. siberslug

siberslug LawnSite Member

I love my SRM-230, no need for more power and extra weight if your just trimming.