1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Which edger for homeowner? GAS attack...

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by fprintf, May 6, 2004.

1. fprintf

fprintf LawnSite Member

In the guitar world they have something called GAS - Guitar Acquisition Syndrome. I think it applies to lawn maintenance too, we'll just call it Gear Acquisition Syndrome. GAS hits whenever there is a job to do and, Tim Allen style, only the biggest, baddest tool will do.

So I have a 1/2 acre lawn that I mow with a 48" walk behind. Get the picture? :) I have found that I cannot edge worth a darn with my string trimmer, even when I tip it up 90 degrees, because the string wanders too much and digs into the turf.

So I need an edger and my choices are: 1) gas powered stick trimmer for approx. $250, 2) gas powered tricycle type edger for approx. $280, 3) an electric black and decker edge hog for $90 or 4) The edgit attachment for my echo trimmer for $60.

So for the pros or homeowners out there, what do you use and what would you recommend in my situation? Any money saved can go to other lawn implements or more remote control airplane stuff (my hobby) but I really hate to buy twice - hence I usually buy more than I need.

2. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Hi, Don't want to sound like a smart@ss but did you try a search for the edgit? I think a lot of people on here swear by that thing. I don't know if you know this but you have to have the trimmer a certain way with the edgit. Well i don't really know if i helped but good luck with your choice.
  3. fprintf

fprintf LawnSite Member

Yeah I did a search on the edgit, so I guess I need help making up my mind. Smart a$$ :) :)
  4. Bayrat

Bayrat LawnSite Member
    from NY

I haven't started my trimmer in years. Same reasons you state but that attachment sounds great, I checked it out as well.
  5. mowhigh

mowhigh LawnSite Member
    from Dallas

Try the edgit. Even if I had a dedicated edger, the added benefits of the edgit for just trimming (especially along chain link fences) would make it worthwhile.
  6. moonkat

moonkat LawnSite Member

I'm looking at "Little wonder" edger.
    I know my Shindaiwa 230 couldn't cut it; and the edger attachment on my Honda Mini-Tiller didn't ... was a pita.