1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

WHich Edger?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grasssin, Feb 21, 2004.

1. grasssin

grasssin LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking at spending about $350 each on a new edger and gas hedge trimmers for the upcoming season. After nearly electocuting myself and destroying about 12 power cords last season I decided it was past time to move on...

I know the brands I am looking at Red Max, Stihl or Huskie and Shindawia....

Which company has the best of both for the money I am willing to spend?

Also is it worth getting the extended hedge trimmers or should I just stay with the regular handheld?

As always I am much in debt to yall...........
  2. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

My next purchase. I like the husqvarna weight. but I cant get past the stihl. You can add the hedge trimmer to it also. It has the open face which upon demoing did not clog like a few others. Over all the FC 85 has my vote for first purchase after season gets rolling.
  3. grasssin

come on guys help me out here please

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

well the good thing about stihl stick edger is that they have a lifetime warranty on the clutches. they dont have much power and are pretty heavy. the redmax has alot of power and is easy to change the clutches and they are only like $12. the other 2 i dont know anyone that uses them. now with the hedge trimmers the redmax are great , they have the power and they are light enough to use all day. the stihl dont have really good speed to trim fast and the blades are weaker.
  5. grasssin

Well I was thinking also about a extended hedge trimmer:

I am only using the Redmax as an illustration to the size I am talking about:

Are there any cons (length wise) in having this as my primary hedge trimmer? I wont be able to reach the tallest hedges I know, but it seems like the best middle of road purchase right now. Or am I an idiot?

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

well think of it this way do want them for hedge trimming or bush trimming. hedge trimming they would be great at that length but for bush you coulnt get very detailed with it because u probally cant shape bush that good with that mid size one. i would go with the stanard size.