Which electric spreader should I get-Spyker mulch/more or Jrco?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by shearbolt, Feb 20, 2005.

1. shearbolt

shearbolt LawnSite Member

Going to replace my truckster that is attached to my Lazer. I'd like to get the 220 Spyker mulch and more. Most people seem to have the Jrco. I think it's because they do a better job marketing. I just got my latest Jrco brochure.

2. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

Have you looked at the lesco ? I think they are about half the price of the jrco.

3. mcambrose

mcambrose LawnSite Senior Member

I have a spyker push and purchased a JRCO electric last year. I selected the JRCO because of the motor and motor control. On most fertilizer spreaders the motor is controlled by a rheostat which lowers voltage to get the motor to slow down. This considerably lowers the torque output, so the motor can have trouble running at lower rpms. I have some smaller lawns where I like to use 6-8' patterns, so I needed to use the slower motor speeds. The JRCO uses an electronic gadget that doesn't lower the voltage to control the speed, so the torque is still strong at lower speeds. My previous spreader (Groundtek) would sometimes not start turning when the hopper was full. I had to empty the hopper to get it to start turning and this was with a unit that had been used less than 30 hours. The JRCO is well built. I also like the way the spinner works because it kind of jiggles rather than just spins, and is located very close to the exit hole, so it reduces bridging. I think my JRCO was worth the money. The factory people have been very responsive when I have had questions. Nice to be able to talk to a live person when needed.

4. The two spkyer push spreaders I own are excellent. I use the mulch and more for fert and applying mulch. Very good spreader!

never used the electric, but I'm considering one for this fall

5. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

Does someone have the name of the company or a web site for the mulch and more spreaders???

6. search for spyker spreaders I would think

7. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

The lesco truckster is a decent spreader! We ran them until we moved up to the sitrex pto spreaders. They used to cost $150.