1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Which employee would you keep

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowman99, Jan 24, 2005.

1. Mowman99

Mowman99 LawnSite Member

I have Guy #1 that has been with me since April 2004, he is 45 and works really hard but doesn't have a eye for detail, since he started he has been on time everyday but has been out 19 times about once every 7 days during the heavy season and has been out less during the fall & winter. He is usually out on Monday's (He has never come in drunk and doesn't use drugs - drug test) Has promised me since first of the year he would not lay out - has 1 time so far. Guy #2 is 26 and has been in business for himself just didn't have the cash or business sense to make it. He is not as hard of a worker as Guy #1, he likes to tell other people what to do which is fine as long as he carry's his load (which he does about 75% of the time) He has never been late or absent, he started in July of 2004. Both of these guys are my crew leaders (2 crews) they don't get along at all Guy #1 says Guy #2 is lazy and Guy #2 says Guy #1 is not detailed enough. Which would you keep?

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Could you cut the head off of one and put it on the body of the other? :p

I might personally like guy #1 better, but I can't stand people that miss days constantly. Something's going on there. I guess I'd keep #2, but I'd figure he might not stick around as long as #1.
  3. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

#2,because he works every day.

4. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

unreliability is a peeve of mine
  5. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I don't have employees, but if I was hiring one, I would take guy 2.
  6. NelsonLandworks

NelsonLandworks LawnSite Member

I guess I'd like to know more about #2. Is he the partying type of guy?

does he have goals in life? (starting a family, settling down ect).

How do thier crews think about this? is one favored more then the other? the last thing i'd want to do is get rid of the guy everyone likes and have them work like **** because they hate the other one.

in the end you'll make the right move
  7. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

the 1st thing i'd do as a business owner would be to avoid any mention of age whatsoever, especially if you get rid of the 45 yr old. talk about setting yourself up for a lawsuit....

as for which one i'd keep, i'd go for the reliable one. you can work with him on the bossing around issue. as the saying goes, it's better to deal with the devil you know, than the one you don't, especially if you don't know when he'll show up.

8. atproperty

atproperty LawnSite Member

calling in to work can really screw your schedule up. Guy #1 would not have lasted with me. I plan on using an incentive program this year where guys will be rewarded for being dependable and a write up process for unacceptable amount of days missed. They will have to sign off when they are absent so there are no law suits if they need to be let go. A good way to get rid of problem children(just a term) is to have random drug testing in place upon employment for a possible avenue for dismissal. #2 is the choice with leadership counseling in place and yes, the question "what are your short and long term goals". Maybe his answer will help you guage how much time you should be spending on him.
  9. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

why keep them both. get rid of one and keep the other for a week or two. or at least unti someone good comes along to take his place.
  10. dforbes

dforbes LawnSite Member

after 3rd time guy # 1 misses work fire him hire guy #3 then decide between #2 and #3. No disrepect intended, but if you don't set and enforce expectaions and goals for your employees you will never find people who are going to meet yours. We would all like to think that everyone has the same work ethics we have but the truth is that most people don't. You are going to have to make rules and no matter how hard it gets enforce them. Let one person slide and the rest of your employee will walk all over you. It will take time and you will go through a lot of employees but it is the only way.;