1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Which Engine for 52 inch ZTR

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by blake101, Jan 7, 2011.

?

Which engine would you rather have on a 52 inch ZTR?

1. 27 hp Kohler Command V-Twin

52 vote(s)
    40.6%
  2. 24 hp Kawasaki FX V-Twin

76 vote(s)
    59.4%
  1. doyles

doyles LawnSite Member

with the price of gas going up you might be on to something.

2. Procut lawn expert

Procut lawn expert LawnSite Member

they are not cheeper in TN with a kohler every one i had blowed up

3. blake101

blake101 LawnSite Senior Member

How many did you have and how many hours did they have before they blue?

4. doyles

doyles LawnSite Member

also how often did you change your oil and filters?
    did you ever clean the cooling fins?

5. Procut lawn expert

Procut lawn expert LawnSite Member

i change my oil every 80 hrs clean filters and everything weekly they all three blew under 1000 hrs i have had no luck .if it could happen though it would happen to me you know any of those people yea thats the luck i have . i baby my mowers i trade every 1500 hrs to 2000 hrs for brand new ones

6. blake101

What hp and model were they?

7. jetta

jetta LawnSite Member

i also lost 2 ... 23 hp kohlers, both with the same problems and we use only kohler air/oil filters...4 inner and outers per yr oil at 50 hr. my complaint is with the kohler reps themselves they treat us like we dont even exist, even though the dealer says they tried everything and they know how we take care of our machines...frustrated. we now only buy kaw..so far so good

8. doyles

doyles LawnSite Member

all my equipment has Kawasaki's on them. my only problem was at the beginning of last year. i bought a brand new ztr with a 37dfi engine on it and by 150hrs i went through 5 fuel pumps and the last straw was a coil went bad.
    ferris and kawasaki switched the engine out for a 37 carberated and 400hrs later no problems.

9. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Just replaced a kawa on a scag this winter...started leaking oil and was told the parts and labor to fix it was gonna be 1600 bux...engine had 1200 hours and I was told I did good to get that...I was Like WTF...I have a kohler with 2000 on it and running strong....any way to replace the engine was 2000 bux only 400 more than parts...sorry no more kawa for me

10. blake101

Just pulled the trigger on a Lazer X series 52in with a 27 Kohler. Hope I made the right choice, but then again that was the only engine option that came with the 52in.