Which Engine Kawisaki or Kholer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jklawns, Dec 9, 2007.

1. jklawns

jklawns LawnSite Member

Hi I found a 32" mower at a pretty good deal. The only question I have is which engine. I have the option of a Kohler 15hp 32" Toro classic or a Kawasaki 15hp 32" Toro classic. The Kawasaki costs $400 more than the Kohler. Which one should I get. Is the Kawasaki worth the extra 400 and do they both have the same amount of Torque? Which would have the least problems?:confused:

Thanks for the input. :):dizzy:
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Hell no get the Kohler, if they were the same price I'd say either or but that's a big $ difference!
    That 15hp Kohler is one of the best made engines, it's at least as good as the Kawasaki,
    I have both and to this day I couldn't tell you which is better but I lean towards Kohler,
    now just make sure you always run synthetic oil in it.
  3. Angel Garcia

Angel Garcia LawnSite Member

I've work the last 3 years with kawas. scag 48 "19 HP kaw and an EXmark 32" 15 Kaw and I haven't got any problem with it, but some body told me that they are almost the same, good
  4. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

For the extra $400, no. Go with the Kohler. And use the Kohler oils in it. My bias is showing again.:eek::usflag:
  5. Angel Garcia

Angel Garcia LawnSite Member

why syntetic oil? I have always used the regular car oil 10 W30
  6. HydroGearHead

HydroGearHead LawnSite Member
    from florida

I've had a bunch of ZTRs too many to count!!!! and i won't tell you have many i have now or else you'd think i was BSing. But trust me its alot!!! all Hustlers except for one back up thats a snapper pro. I have oem Kawis and some Kohlers and people can say what they want but in the end the are EQUAL. Now, I know someone is goign to say this or that bu in the end if you kep the air cleaner clean and the oil changd both will last long time. And, let me tell you any engine can break or have a problem and if you own enough like I have you will find this to be true. Buy whatever is cheapest or what matches your fleet, like I said we got both and there isnt any difference. Its like saying ford is better than chevy or dodge or toyota or whatever. You will find people that woul eriosuly knief you ina fight over it cuz they are so loyal but in the end they are the same cuz you can't prove one is better than the other ith consumer reports or anything liek that. So my advice buy the cheapest between Kawi and Kohler and keep the oil changed and the air cleaners clean and they voth will last the same. Oh ya I know I'm going to get flamed here so bring it on I guess but in the end they are the same. Only engine that really sucks, and i mean sucks is Tecumseh. Back when we used to have walk behinds when we finally did wear out an engine I used to buy these really cheap Tecumsehs put them on run them like 100 hrs and then sell the mowers and everyone would be a lemon for the new owner. I felt bad about it to be honest. So thers a reason you don't even find them offered on commercial mowers but I've had Kawis, Kohlers and Honda's mainly on Hustlers and have ahd all go over 3,000 hours with good maint.
  7. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

All right, I'll ask the question, I'm interested in knowing how many Hustler Super Z's you have, with which engines and how much grass you cut in a day with them.
  8. jklawns

jklawns LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input guys. I think I am going to go with the Kohler and save some money.
  9. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

Smart decision ... not to mention that if something does break on a Kohler it's easier to get parts because it's made in the USA, and the parts are leass expensive the KAW parts !!
  10. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

The kawi is a v twin and will start easier run smoother and feel stronger. We had a 15p kohler single--pull start-- and it was a pain in the neck to start for some reason. Kawi = 1-2 pulls. Kohler = 3-5 pulls. It adds up, but maybe not worth $400 for the convenience and extra power.

Good luck with either choice.