Which engine on a New 60"velocity Scag?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ProCut Lawn Care, Apr 9, 2007.

1. ProCut Lawn Care

ProCut Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Looking at getting a new Turf Tiger, like in a day or 2, and would like to know what engine is best for the money, NOT the HIGHEST or Lowest.
    And you Scag haters I already have a tiger cub 48" velocity and love it. Just need to shave some time of some large acerage accounts that I have just accuired in the last few weeks which will in themselves pay for the mower in the first year.

2. scagtiger

scagtiger LawnSite Member
    from TN

Ive got the 27hp on my turf tiger and it does awesome hasnt bogged down on me one time.... i think anything over 27 or 29 hp is overkill

3. ProCut Lawn Care

Is yours the Kohler or Kawi? If you don't mind me asking what did you give for it to compare.

4. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Well I like my big block Briggs but if they are the same price I would take the 29 Kaw. Mine is using just over a gallon an hour. I doubt you would need as big an engine in Alabama. I can bog any of them down on my jobs. Even the big briggs will loose rpm's in the thick stuff if your going fast. I've been on the 27, no comparison on power. 30% of my lawns are on 2 week schedule though. So that's not normal cutting for the average lawn. I would say the 27 Kaw is the most popular best all around machine but the largest dealer in the state told me the 29 kaw is his biggest seller. He was asking $10,400 for that and the big block Briggs about the same. I'm guessing the 27 can be had for quite a bit less. Probably your best bet in normal conditions. You'll love the Velocity plus deck, I promise.

5. ProCut Lawn Care

I have the velocity on my cub and love it, I do quite a few large accounts on an every two week schedule and they can get thick quick. Lots of fertilized hay fields around lending a helping hand of blow over of fert. I need the power more that the cost savings for the long haul. Thanks tacoma.

6. scagtiger

from TN

Mine is a kawi... i gave 8500 for it

7. scagtiger

from TN

All my accounts are on a weekly schedule so they get thick but not to thick... I got my mowers from the largest scag dealer in TN and he sells more 27 and 29 tigers then anyothers.... but you cant go wrong with the velocity deck

8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I agree..... The main reason I went with the Briggs is that it was only $8,500 and I really needed the power due to the bi-weekly accounts. I'm out in the country but even the Buckeyes with Summer homes here ask for bi-weekly cuts so go figure. They have two homes and still don't want weekly cuts. Just the area I'm in. I have one fellow that has a cabin that just calls a week before he comes down and says cut it. I do and I charge. I think the Kaw is the most dependable but the big Briggs (Diahatsu) is making a good name for the larger Briggs line. A friend of mine were at Expo in Louisville and he was on an Exmark with the 29 efi Kaw and I was on the big Briggs Lazer. The torque and sheer power was overwhelming with the big block but over kill for most weekly jobs. We drag raced them and the Briggs would jump way out in front till the Kaw could get going. But like I said the Kaw is probably more fuel efficient and reliable. Best of luck.

9. West KY Lawncare

West KY Lawncare LawnSite Member

I have the 29 on my tiger and love it. It has awesome power and is fuel injected!

10. mrgreen3

mrgreen3 LawnSite Member

check out the 25 kubota now being offered. I haven't tried it but it looks intruiging..