Which engine on toro commercial 21"?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by S man, Apr 15, 2008.

?

Which engine do you like?

1. Kawasaki fj180v

26.2%
  2. Kawasaki fj180v kai

40.5%
  3. Honda gxv160

33.3%
  1. S man

S man LawnSite Gold Member

For those who use toro commercial 21"s, which engine do you have on your mowers? and why? I had both kawasaki and honda and like the honda better because it's lighter, quiet, better on gas, and does have power. Also from the things I've heard, the honda is a better engine. What does everyone think?

2. Ray&Christine

Ray&Christine LawnSite Member

I also have both. Both are good engines. If I remmber correctly the Kawasaki is a bit cheaper to buy so I would take the kawi. I don't think you can too far wrong with either. The Kawi is 5 years old and I have had zero problems with it. The Honda is 2 years old and I have also had no problems with it.

3. Mlc gmc03

Mlc gmc03 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

i also have both a kawi that is well over 5 years old and 2 new honda engines i got this year i bought the honda over the kawi because of the air filter and the honda dosent have the oil filter to make a mess all over the top of the deck

4. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

kawasaki Kai

5. S man

Anyone else? I used mine today and love the quiet smooth honda.

6. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

7. grouselab

grouselab LawnSite Member

I have 3 Suzuki 2 cycles on my toros... They are the best and last forever..

8. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

From what I could gather on another thread entitled "I HATE HONDA'S GUTS", Honda won't allow you to order parts online so you are obligated to pay dealers prices. Doesn't matter to me though because I can't fix anything anyways. I have one honda engine, 3 briggs and a 15HP Kawi. The Honda is old but works nice, the Kawi works nice, 2 of 3 briggs are very iffy and the 3rd briggs is a power rake which barely gets used.

I guess I would prefer kawi just so I could order my own parts.

9. S man

10. bladecutter582

bladecutter582 LawnSite Member

I just bought two, week before last. All I can say is they are smooth and seem to look like a comm. type engine. Big spin on oil filter and cranks on the first pull.

I'm hooked:waving: