Which engine option for Toro?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Drivefaster35, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Drivefaster35

Drivefaster35 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I'm lookin to go from John Deere zero turns to Toro this year for many reasons however can't make up my mind what engine to go with. I was able to Demo for a short time a toro 60" deck with the 23 hp kabota engine which only has about 20 hours on it (which I hear diesels dont get their full potential power tell about 50 hours). It was slightly less as powerful as my deere which is also 60" with a liquid cooled 27 hp engine. Now i'f I went diesel which I want to do because of fuel efficency and being able to use off road diesel I woiuld deffinitly buy the 25 hp Kabota or 27 hp dajatsu or however u spell it. Now the question is which diesel option do I go with I hear the kabota is much better however is the 29hp dfi Kawasaki engine better I don';t know what to do I will be running a bagging system so I figured the extra torque would be nice any thoughts or advice?

2. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

id say 27 horse diesel

3. Drivefaster35

from Midwest

have U ever used it?

4. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

i demod one and loved it, if it wasnt for the weight i would of bought it.

5. Drivefaster35

from Midwest

That was also a concern of mine I would save 200 lbs by going from the 27 hp Daihatsu to the 25 hp Kabota any other thoughts?

6. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

Consensus on here is that the Kubota is the better engine.

7. WREBELMACHINE

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you figure the 25 kubota is 200lbs lighter than the dihatsu? I have two dihatsu machines and they are great! As far a kubota being better it to me is very debatable! at nearly 2000hrs of flawless running!

8. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

The Toro groundsmaster 7210 has either a Kubota 28hp or 35hp(turbo)diesel powering a 60" or 72" deck. Looks to be an awesome machine. I've got 3 Kubota 28hp diesels in Steiners and they use .75gph or less consistently.............Lynn

9. WREBELMACHINE

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

I just went to briggs web site the 27hp dihatsu weighs 185lbs! I do not know who gave you the info about kubota being 200lbs lighter but they need be updated on there info!

10. Drivefaster35

from Midwest

In toros Catalog the 60" 25 hp kabota weighs 1443 lbs and the 60" with dihatsu is 1644 lbs