1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Which Engine Option

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by grasshopperslawn, Jan 24, 2009.

1. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

I've always been a Kawi guy...

2. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I've ran both a 31 and 35hp Vanguards. They are a smooth and very powerful engine and haven't had any problems yet. I would say for a 60" deck the 27 Kaw. would be fine but a 66" or 72" you would want the higher displacement/horsepower engine.

3. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

^
    I agree if you were going with a 66 or 72 the higher hp vangard makes good sense. For a 60" the Kaw 27lc is an excellent choice. I have a Exmark Lazer 60" with 27hp lc kaw on. I have never felt like it was underpowered or like I could use more. The fact is the motor does its job. One other key adevantage is fuel consumption. It only uses 1.2 gallons per hour. Reliability, 1600hrs and still has the same spark plugs. It still runs like its right off the showroom floor.
    There is no need for more power if the engines not bogging. 20hp vs. 60hp the blades turn at the exact same speed as long as the engine isn't bogging down.