WHich Engine?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dwilmi, Jul 3, 2006.

1. dwilmi

dwilmi LawnSite Member

I am a homeowner looking at a new Hustler Super Z with a 72" XR-7 but can't decide on which engine to get! I would like the 26 HP Liquid cooled Kawasaki(quiter,fuel effient, longivity) but I don't know if it will be underpowered? I've been reading a lot about the 28HP Kohler EFI but I not exactly sure about kohlers and being air cooled! Right now I have a Grass Hopper with 21 HP LC Kubota diesel and a 61" deck and it is way under powered. I mow about 4 acres and it is mostly flat and not many trees. Which engine would you guys go with?

P.S. I know the 72" deck is overkill, but I value my time!!!!!

2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I'd say Kawasaki over Kohler any day of the week! Why not look into a diesel powered machie though, hustler has some good ones!

3. dwilmi

dwilmi LawnSite Member

Ive heard that there are problems with the 34 HP Cat in the Hustlers!

4. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

is your hustler dealer the only dealer around you? why not look at toro or exmark if you are looking for kubota diesel power?

5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

From my demo's with the Hustler you need all the power you can get for the big pumps and motors. They really drop the rpm's when you push hard on the levers.

6. dwilmi

dwilmi LawnSite Member

I have looked into a few others---Gravely, Toro, and going to look at a Exmark in a couple of days. I noticed they have a Kaw 29HP LC DFI engine in there although I don't know how there prices are compaed to Hustler.

7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Get the John Deere 72" 997 Diesel.......that'll give you a ton of free time it'll cut that 4 acres so fast....AND will be cheaper that the Hustler Diesel.

On your question though, NO 26HP is not enough really for a 72" deck, as to KAW vs. KOH....don't let these young "brand loyal" guys that have never had anything other than the brand they recommend sway you either way, for or against. It the last 27 years I have owned about every engine brand out there and currently have diesels, KAWS, KOHS, and even Vanguards and they all work well as long as they are properly maintained. Also air cooled engines are find for your app, shoot as a LCO we run them 1,000s of hours in much harder day in and day out conditions. To say KAW is better than KOH, or vice-versa, that is nothing more than the old Ford vs.Chevy dribble.....they are both good trucks that each can have issues and the enigines of KAW and KOH are the same way.

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I wasn't very impressed with the 26hp LC Kawi. The 28EFI wins this hands down. You'll be putting a couple hours a week on your machine...LC'ed is not needed for that length of mowing.

You've chosen one of the better ZTR's out there. Some others can compare in some aspects, but I believe Hustler has the best all around package today.

Make sure the 72" deck is for you. And that it "fits" your lawn well. I mow several Multiple Acre lawns and still chose the 60" cut.

Diesel's aren't for everyone, and with a $2-3K price jump and the weight factor, you really have to "NEED" a diesel.

9. dwilmi

dwilmi LawnSite Member

I looked at the Toro with the 27HP Diatsu Diesel but they wanted $12,900, it was a nice machine but I can get a Super Z with the 28HP EFI 72" XR-7 for $8,800.00 I just don't think I can justify the $4,100 difference.

10. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

28EFI all the way. Homeowner with 4 acres doesn't need a diesel and a LC is overkill for that much mowing. The 28 is great on fuel and fuel is expensive. Yes a diesel is the best but added cost and weight of machine not to mention HUGE overkil is definately a negative.
    You won't go wrong with the 28 for your situation. If you want to do your neighbors 4 acres the 28 will handle that too. :weightlifter: